I hope you’ll agree with me when I say:
Led grow lights are excellent for seedlings as well as houseplants, culinary herbs and other plants, Especially marijuana!
Grow lights are artificial light sources that are used for growing plants indoors.
Grow lights can be used for many types of plants: from edible ones to cannabis. Among many types of grow lights, there has recently been a steady rise in popularity of LED lights.
That is why I have created a list of Best led grow light 2017. With my experience and after researching online , spending hours to testing these Led grow lights I have shortlisted the top 10 grow lights which help you can buy right now.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Led Grow Lights 2017
- 2 Top 10 Led Grow Lights on the Market
- 2.1 Most affordable power: TaoTronics LED Grow Light Bulb 36W
- 2.2 Galaxyhydro, 300W Full Spectrum with UV&IR for Veg and Flower
- 2.3 Galaxyhydro 600W LED Plant Grow Light Full Spectrum
- 2.4 Mars hydro Reflector144 for Hydroponic Indoor Garden and Greenhouse
- 2.5 Apollo Horticulture 24W LED Grow Light w/ Red & Blue LED Spectrum
- 2.6 Apollo Horticulture GL80X5LED Full Spectrum 400W LED Grow Light
- 2.7 Serious business: VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 300W
- 2.8 For cannabis lovers: VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 450W
- 2.9 All phases covered: Advanced Platinum Series P450 450w 12-band
- 2.10 Turbo grower: Advanced LED Lights EX-Veg 300
- 2.11 Hail to the king: MarsHydro MARSII 1200
- 2.12 All pro: G8LED 900 Watt MEGA
- 3 Led Gow Lights Buyer’s Guide
- 3.1 History of LEDs
- 3.2 What do we use them for?
- 3.3 How do LEDs work?
- 3.4 How are different colors made?
- 3.5 Engineering
- 3.6 Why are those colors important?
- 3.7 Why are LEDs perfect for growing cannabis?
- 3.8 Why should you choose LED grow lights?
- 3.9 Disposing
- 3.10 Direction of light
- 3.11 Longevity
- 3.12 Tips on how to choose the best LED grow light for your needs
- 4 Final Words – Wrapping it up
Best Led Grow Lights 2017
LED grow lights are growing lights that are made out of the light emitting diodes (LEDs) with varying wavelengths (colors). It has been scientifically proven that LED’s different colors help the plant cultivation in its various stages: from growing to fruition. We are here to see which LED grow lights are the best for growing cannabis.
Things to consider before buying
- How to choose the best LED grow light: It all depends on your needs and your budget. If it’s a small scale operation, you may be satisfied with the ones that are more affordable and less wasteful. If you are growing for commercial purposes, you need a quality and durable LED grows light used in professional settings for your business venture.
- Different spectrums for different cycles: A full-cycle LED grow lamp is required if you want to grow your plant from seedling to flower. On the other hand, if your plant has already germinated in outdoors conditions, you may only require LED grow lights in the blue and red spectrum for growing and flowering respectively.
- Mind your budget: Just like any other type of product on the market, there are products that are pricey and products that are more affordable. Planning is crucial at this point. A grow light is not the only part of an indoor growing operation: there are also filters, fertilizers, nutrients, soil and many other components that you will need to spend your money on. Plan carefully and find one that fits both your requirements and your budget.
- What do your plants need: Check your plants’ needs. Some plants require full or high light while others need low light. If your plant is sensitive to strong lights it is senseless to waste your money on a LED grow light that would dry out or burn your plants.
Top 10 Led Grow Lights on the Market
|TaoTronics Bulb||36W||50,000 hours|
|Galaxyhydro Full Spectrum with UV&IR||300W||50,000 hours|
|Galaxyhydro 600W LED||600W||50,000 hours|
|Mars hydro Reflector144||317W||50,000 hours|
|Apollo Horticulture 24W||24W||50,000 hours|
|Apollo Horticulture GL80X5LED||400W||50,000 hours|
|VIPARSPECTRA Reflector |
|VIPARSPECTRA Reflector |
|ADVANCED PLATINUM |
|Advanced LED Lights EX-Veg |
|MarsHydro MARSII 1200||552W||100,000 hours|
|G8LED 900 Watt MEGA||900W||100,000 hours|
Most affordable power: TaoTronics LED Grow Light Bulb 36W
With its 36W of power, it has more raw energy than other members of TaoTronics family, making it the best value offer from TaoTronics. Just like the older 24W model it is more efficient with growing rather than flowering since it has 7 blue LEDs and 2 red ones.
The voltage range and socket are unchanged, every model reviewed till now has a standard E26 plug for any socket in your house and it operates in the voltage range from 85V to 264V. Input current required for running this product is 650mA, which means that being the strongest one, it also spends more electricity than other TaoTronics grow light bulbs.
What this specific product boasts is the combination of various light wavelengths that can improve your yield up to 50 percent with enhancing stems and leaf quality thus producing up to 20 percent more Vitamin C and sugar.
As for the range that it covers, judging by the 60 degrees angle of light that it casts it can be used for bigger mini greenhouses.
It also emits 3 bands of light ranging from 460 nanometers to 660 nanometers, so it boosts your plant growth and can help your plan develop leaves in only 2 days.
While it is definitely stronger than other TaoTronics grow light bulbs, it can also operate in a wider angle thus covering bigger plants or bigger gardens
Galaxyhydro, 300W Full Spectrum with UV&IR for Veg and Flower
If you are looking for a perfect LED Grow Light, then The Galaxyhydro LED Grow Light is a great choice for you. It offers more natural light to the vegetables and plants, ensuring that they develop approximately ideal level.
Furthermore, the Galaxyhydro LED Grow Light is supported by a 30-day money back guarantee. The main goal of Galaxyhydro is to supply premium quality items for its clients.
This light is one of the best led grow lights at the moment and has been tested for indoor cannabis growth extensively, and it passes the test always. This one is usually a grower’s preferred just for the reliable bud yield it generates and the sweet place between quality and price.
There is nothing too much complicated about it. Thus these kinds of LED lights will be a great choice for individuals who also prefer to retain it simple. It is a “set this as well as forget it” type light that’s simple to preserve and can perform precisely what you desire it to do.
- The Galaxyhydro 300w is usually energy-efficient.
- It provides full spectrum to accomplish necessary PAR.
- It combines blue, white, red, UV and IR light with a proportional technique that amplifies blue and red light for the best growth and yield.
- A compact and small gadget with the advantage of effectiveness and weighs below 8 pounds to support interior growers.
- It allows farmers to possess better light diffusion into the plant cover.
- Frequency: 50/60 HZ
- LED chips: Epileds Chips
- View Angle of LEDs: 90°and 120°
- Actual power: 145w±5%
- Current: 630mA
- Voltage: AC85~265V
- Lumen: 7,000
- Noise Level: 55±5% dB
Galaxyhydro 600W LED Plant Grow Light Full Spectrum
Searching for outstanding LED Plant Grow light? GalaxyHydro 600W LED Plant Grow Light has been around in business for half a decade and is popular for their exceptional products plus customer service. Their lights supply the complete spectrum necessary for both vegetative plus flowering stages of growth. They’re lightweight and easy to set up and may be daisy-chained collectively if you would like to increase the size of the grow op.
These led lights have incredibly effective heat dissipation also, with multiple little fans built-in to each light. Every light includes a two-year guarantee and one-month money-back guarantee. These lights are extremely durable as well, with a life-span of 50, 000 hours.
Galaxyhydro 600 Watts Grow Light is professionally engineered to guarantee the most suitable PAR/ Spectrum / Lumen for flower and vegetables growing. It keeps the balance of the PAR/Lumen Output plus coverage carefully scientifically.
The LED chips of these lights are made to create large efficacy, professional spectrum light with surprisingly low power consumption, and so are long lasting. UV function sterilizes growth and kills bacteria which influence plant’s growth and capability to produce abundant, healthy blossoms seriously.
- All of the LED chips are made to create large efficacy, professional spectrum light with surprisingly low power usage, and so are long lasting.
· The ideal range which supplies plants, vegetables and Flower almost all phases with everything they desire in the organic sunshine.
· UV functions sterilize growth and get rid of bacteria which in turn significantly impact plant’s growth and capability to produce numerous healthy plants.
· The IR functions promote cell division which will enhances development in the two vegetation and flowering stages.
· Ideal for a 3×3’ growing area at 24” elevation (Max protection 4×4’)
- Lifespan: 50,000 hours life span
- Leds: 200pcs*3w Epileds chips
- Certification: CE, FCC, and ROHS
- Voltage: AC85 – 265v
- View angle of leds: 90° and 120° mixed
- Current: 630ma
- Working temperature: -4 – 104 ℉
- Recommended Height: 11.8”- 78.7”
- Effective illumination region: One panel about 21.5 sq. ft – 44sq. ft
- Working Frequency: 50 ~ 60Hz
Mars hydro Reflector144 for Hydroponic Indoor Garden and Greenhouse
Worried about LED Grow Light? The Mars hydro Reflector144 Led Grow Light is quite exclusive and in contrast to other LED grows signals upon this list. These lights provide real LED and wattage. So it is perfect for indoor garden and greenhouse full spectrum vegetables. This LED grow light is a reliable LED producer with over eight years of experience and a lot of great reviews for people and additional grow lights on Amazon.com.
The lights utilize an exclusive style of compact reflectors around every individual LED to find a higher PAR output that’s unmatched in regular LED light. It also means more energy savings for you personally because they don’t require as many lights for the similar result.
Every single light includes a full range of lighting including green, white and red for both vegetative plus flowering stages of growth. The Mars hydro Reflector144 prides them on the customer support, having an US-based support center and orders delivered within twenty-four hours.
- Mars Hydro Reflector contains more than seven years experience in LED Grow Light collection and selling totally genuine MarsHydro light
- Special Reflector small style, Switch of vegetable/bloom mode, High output, creating this to be series ideal for limited space
- High Effectiveness & Energy conservation, Full range particular proportions of green, white and red for both vegetable and flowering stages.
- Good quality with inexpensive cost
- Two years warranty, Support center obtainable in California, Orders delivered within 24 hours.
- LED Output Power: 144pcs*5watt
- Lumen: 220v: 13082lumen; 110v: 13789lumen
- Actual Power: 311W/220v; 317W/110v
- Noise Level: 61DB
- Coverage Area: 2′ x 4′
- N.W.: 6.68KG /14.72lbs
- G.W.: 8.03KG /17.70lbs
- Voltage (AC): 85-265V
- Amp Draw: 2.59A/110v, 1.436A/220v
- View Angle of leds: 90/120°Mixed
- Worldwide Voltage: AC85~265V
Apollo Horticulture 24W LED Grow Light w/ Red & Blue LED Spectrum
Do you have a great desire to purchase a fantastic LED Grow Light? Apollo Horticulture 24W LED Grow Light provides outstanding LED grow lights, and it makes a perfect strategy to a new little plant grower. This light is simple to hang because it is light-weight and does not need electrical ballast. Among the features of these led lights that you can hang it closer to the plants than others because it operates cool.
This particular light includes built-in fans to lessen the dependence on added ventilation, and reviewers have noted that the fans run quietly plus work nicely. Their larger lights contain more fans compared to the smaller. Each light comes with a stainless hanging kit, two-year guarantee, power cord and a lifespan of 50,000 hours. These lights are appropriate for all phases of plant growth from vegetables to flowering.
These LED lights feature standard home E26 sockets to allow them to be installed into almost every lamp even your small table lamp. These LED bulbs devour less energy while offering you high lustrous efficiency, an extended lifespan, and steady light output. LED lights generate less heat in comparison to other grow light bulbs also, meaning they could be placed nearer to your plants.
- Red and blue light for ideal growth and superlative for growing herbs, plants, fruits, or even vegetables.
- These LED lights have standard household E26 socket to allow them to be fitted into almost every light even your table lamp.
- Quick and easy installation, specialized tools or equipments are not required to get growing right away!
- LED bulbs generate less heat in comparison to other grow lights also, meaning they could be placed nearer to your plants.
- Comes standard along with a restricted two year warranty.
- Color Spectrum: Red – 630nm, 660nm and Blue – 460nm
- Diameter: 4.5 Inches
- Power Draw: 14.8W / 60Hz / 120-240V / 0.12 Amps
- Size: 24 – Watts
- Standard Domestic Socket – E26
- Model: AH LED-PAR38-24W
- Packages Include: One 24 Watt LED Bulb
Apollo Horticulture GL80X5LED Full Spectrum 400W LED Grow Light
Looking for a high quality but affordable LED Grow light? Apollo Horticulture has been manufacturing especially GL80X5LED Full Spectrum 400W LED Grow Light for Indoor Plant Growing right now. This light is appropriate for healthful plant growth. In comparison to other expand lamps, LEDs are appealing because they don’t require electrical ballast and create considerably fewer heat.
These led lights enable Apollo Horticulture LEDs being placed nearer to plant canopy than most other lights. It includes an impressive typical lifetime of 50,000 hours and a restricted two-year guarantee. These LED’s are perfect for all phases of plants growth and flowering. This operational system is ideal for growing tents, greenhouses, water systems and generally in most different Hydroponic systems.
This Spectrum 400W LED Grow Light takes the type of a panel which provides supplemental light for flowering and vegetative plant stages. It encourages plant growth over a 3×3′ region and flowering over a 2.5×2.5′ space. Moreover, this light is easy to use and install.
- A delegated switch supplies the capability to modify light spectra.
- Excellent white light at a temperature of 6500 Kelvin
- Daylight is considered as 6500K, and is near to the color of straight sunlight.
- For vegetable growth, the GL80X5LED requires 12-14 hours. For flowering growth, 16 hours of sunshine are required.
- The GL80X5LED is ideal for households, greenhouses; grow tents and hydroponic systems.
- Fans: (2) 4.5″, built-in
- Hanging Clips: (4) 19″, stainless steel
- Mounting Hardware: Included
- Coverage Area: 3×3 feet for vegetative stage; 2.5×2.5 feet for flowering stage
- Power Source: (80) 5W Chips
- Voltage: 85-265V
- Hanging Rods: (4) metal, looped
Serious business: VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 300W
Whether it’s a marketing gimmick or reality, VIPARSPECTRA Reflector Series 300W packs some serious power and represents a kind of grow light that can make itself useful to any growing operation. The spatial spread of the LEDs guarantees you even light coverage throughout your whole garden.
Unlike previously reviewed grow lights, this one can be used for all the stages of a growing operation: from humble seedlings to luscious and extravagant flowers. That means that you don’t have to expose your plant to outside conditions in order for it to germinate: all of the stages are covered by this grow light. As for the heat emissions, VIPARSPECTRA Reflector Series 300W has a revolutionary heatsink made out of aluminum, which can absorb up to 70 percent of heat more than it’s High-intensity discharge (HID) counterparts.
VIPARSPECTRA Reflector Series 300W comes in 12.6×7.9×3 inches of size and 5.6lbs of weight. It is made out of 60 individual small LEDs that each has Bridgelux/Epileds LED Chips that carry 5W of power.
Angle f coverage is 90 degrees which is pretty much understandable, considering the sheer size of this item. It operates within the 50 -60Hz frequency and has an average lifespan of 100 000 hours of continuous use guaranteed by the factory standards.
The package comes with one reflector, one mounting kit and one 6ft long power cable that has a US standard 110V three -pronged plug. It also has options for a timer if you are away from your garden . Since this product has some serious power it is not recommendable to stare at it as it can seriously hurt your eyes. Since it isn’t waterproof, it can only be used indoors.
For cannabis lovers: VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 450W
It is also used for full cycle plant growth which means that you can grow a full plant in your mini greenhouse without it ever seeing the light of day. It is specifically designed to balance out the surface covered with light strength, so burning your plants due to prolonged exposition to UV lights is pretty much impossible with this bad boy. It is a bit stronger than the 350W model which means higher electricity bills, but hey, no pain no gain. Ideally used for plants that produce resin as it is designed for enhancing resin quantity and quality which means that it is meant to be purchased by marijuana growers.
Since it’s size has been drastically increased from the previous model to 15.8×8.4×2.4 inches, it can now hold much more LEDs. IT has 90 LED pieces and each one of them has 5W of power. As for the lifespan, the factory guarantees 100 000 hours of non-stop use.
This product has obviously been made with cannabis growers in mind. While it can serve for other purposes, it’s full cycle LED light arrangement can come in handy if you don’t want anyone to find out about your growing operation.
All phases covered: Advanced Platinum Series P450 450w 12-band
Turbo grower: Advanced LED Lights EX-Veg 300
Their products are known for good quality and best reviews and make one of the best-rated LED grow lights on the
market. Their latest product, the Advanced LED Lights EX-Veg 300, is no different. It has 75 5W CREE XT-E LEDs chips that are more than enough for a medium marijuana growing operation as it can cover 4ft x 4ft.
With a power output of 375 W, it has some serious strength. Don’t worry about the heat, there is no need for additional fans or weights: it comes packed with two 120mm fans that cool it and prevent it from toasting your babies. As for the light, more than 50 shades of intense blue will make sure your plant gets those yummy photons.
The Advanced LED company makes a lot of effort to ensure that their products are user-friendly. In the package, apart from the grow light and a 75 inch 110V US standard cord, you get a LED grow light manual for those of you who are not that experienced. The company also offers you a 90 day trial period, so if you’re not satisfied, they will give you your money back. Anyway, this one is a real treat among the latest LED grow lights.
Hail to the king: MarsHydro MARSII 1200
What can be better than a very powerful full cycle pro machine? That’s right: two of them. MarsHydro MARSII 1200 comes in 2 pieces delivering a double impact. This beast of a grow light packs 552 W of raw power. With 240 5W LEDS per lamp, the MARSII 1200 can cover up to 4ft x 4ft in a vegetating and 3.5ft x 3.5ft in a flowering stage with its 90 to 120 degrees of angle , depending on how you position it.
The product promises us bigger yields and higher quality flowers with more resin for those special high times and the reviews confirm this boast, as these many users express their satisfaction over this product. The lamp LEDs 10 bands spectrum of light: blue(ideal for growing), orange, red(ideal for flowering) infra-red and white. That means you have all the lights that could cover you for a full growing cycle from a seedling to a flower.
Power consumption on the US standard 110V socket is somewhere around 600 W, but taking into account what it can do, this is a great value for the money spent on electricity bills.
The product comes with a customer support service that is ready to help you and answer all of your questions in no time. Taking everything into consideration this would be the best LED grow light solution for an average grower of marijuana, as it covers you through all stages.
All pro: G8LED 900 Watt MEGA
However, it wasn’t always this serious. Through 8 years in which it was being manufactured it has gone through
several changes and modifications. The end result is this highly professional growing lamp here. The lamp has a wide specter of light: 8-band that goes from ultraviolet to infrared. It means that it nurtures your plants from zero to full plant that is ready for harvest.
G8LED 900 Watt MEGA covers a small garden of 24 square feet. Although it’s very powerful considering the wattage, this LED grow light won’t harm your plants. All excessive heat is absorbed by ultra-efficient heat sinks. Even after many hours of work, G8LED 900 is cold on touch. As for the voltage, it runs both on 220V and US standard 110V current.
The product boasts high rating among its users, considering how many years it ‘s been o the market. If you decide to purchase this product you should know that the G8LED company has gone that extra mile to help you during your growing operation. Apart from the 2-year warranty, there is a customer support program that will enable even the amateurs to become pros.
Led Gow Lights Buyer’s GuideFor those who don’t know, Led Grow Lights come with several things you need to consider before you actually spend the hard earned money. They have different other type light as MH (metal halide) light and HPS (high pressure sodium) light.
History of LEDs
The primary principle that LEDs operate on is electroluminescence. Discovered at the beginning of the twentieth century, this phenomenon has spanned many inventions but it wasn’t produced commercially before the seventies. Hewlett-Packard was the first company that started producing them in large scale and one of their biggest support lay in the researchers from Monsanto.
The color of the lights that LEDs emit is pretty much dependent on the type of material that was used for building a LED: ones with sapphire component would produce blue light, others that had a phosphorus component would shine white light etc. Initially, they were very expensive to produce, but following the Moore’s Law, the cost of producing LEDs was plummeting paired with their increased efficiency.
What do we use them for?
Well, pretty much everything that has to do with electronics. Groups of LEDs form a LED lamp. That means that if you have a certain number of LEDs in one space they make a lamp together, so it’s understandable why we use them for lighting. Whenever you were stuck on a crossroad, you spend your time staring at one LED lamp nervously waiting for the color switch.
That’s right, traffic lights are actually LED lamps because of their penetrating power: they can be seen through the thickest of fogs. Why would you waste your money on some 19th-century technology such as incandescent light bulbs if you can have state of the art light system that your government has been using for quite a while?
LEDs also help you browse through channels. They are an integral part of any remote control system. Your remote is equipped with one and it is visible on the tip of your remote. Pretty much most of your home appliances have LEDs in them: digital clocks, oven, and fridge displays etc.
How do LEDs work?
LEDs are essentially semiconductors meaning that they can selectively conduct electricity through a circuit. They consist of a power source and a P-N junction. P-N junction is essentially a small piece of silicone that has a positive(P) and negative(N) side. When electrons flow through a circuit they jump from the negative to the positive side and produce light in that process.
How are different colors made?
This is where high school physics comes in handy. We know that the average human being has mostly slept through physics classes so we are going to give you a crash course. Essentially, light color depends on the wavelength.
The longer the wavelength, the light will be dimmer. Now, white light pretty much consists of all the natural colors, but if you shoot that same white light through a prism, you will notice that natural colors from the light will divide itself. Red light is the light with the longest wavelength: between 620 and 645 nanometers.
The next one is a bright red or a dark orange color (depends on how you look at it) that has a range from 610 to 620 nanometers. After orange comes green that has a wavelength somewhere around 540 nanometers. Shortest wavelength is reserved for bright and dark blue at 500 and 480 nanometers respectively.
LEDs owe their different colors to the materials used for constructing them. Infrared LED (the one in you remote controls) is made out of gallium arsenide. Orange ones are made out of gallium arsenide phosphides. The further we go through the light specter the brighter components are used for constructing LEDs.
Blue LEDs mark the change in composition as they no longer have gallium arsenide but Zinc selenide or silicon carbide. White light LEDs are made out of white phosphorus Some colors are even made through common sense ingenuity: purple ones, for example, are the same as white ones, but with one small change : they are encapsulated in a purple plastic container.
Why are those colors important?
First and foremost, we have to talk about brightness. There is a reason why apples from the side of a tree that had longer and better exposure to light taste sweeter. Light intensity helps with creating sugars in the process of photosynthesis. Photosynthesis is the main reason we call plants “plants”. That is the most important process in converting the energy of the sunlight to organic matter. It is very important to understand that plants experience light in a radically different way. While we see plain ,regular, old-fashioned white light, plants can distinguish between subtle nuances. It is pretty much like the word for snow in different cultures: while some cultures that have thrived in warmer habitats have one word for snow, others that are surrounded by it on a daily basis (such as Eskimos) can have many many words for many apparently same shades of white.
Why are LEDs perfect for growing cannabis?
- Plants have a different use for a different wavelength. Blue light is mostly associated with plant growth as it helps the plant in springing leaves and growing. On the other hand, red light is the most important light color for flowering and stemming.
- However, photosynthesis is not enough. Many plants need the natural change of light to grow. Natural change doesn’t mean a sudden absence of light. If you ever spent a couple of hours before the sunset in the natural light, you must’ve noticed that a change in light occurs gradually as the sun sets. So, if you are growing indoors you will need a perfect emulation of sunlight. You can’t just flip the switch and expect your plants to be happy with it. Remember when you were a kid, and your dad comes in and turns the light off? Did you like it? Well, surprise! Your plants hate that too.
- That’s where LEDs come in handy. Since a LED lamp consists of many individual LEDs , you can buy one that has both blue and red light and just change the tone of light as the day goes on. Your plants will be happy and they will reward you accordingly. If you are a cannabis lover, LED lights represent the best solution for your gentle weed.
Why should you choose LED grow lights?
First and foremost, cultivating plants indoors may require a lot of energy and power consumption. There is a reason plants are called that way: they absorb the energy of the sun and convert it to organic matter. Having a good and strong light source is crucial for a proper and healthy plant development. Just like humans need a certain amount of food to stay healthy and functional, plants need a quality and steady light source that would feed them. You would never survive on 5 grams of food per day, so why should a plant survive on dimmed and inadequate lighting.
That’s where LEDs come in handy as they are far brighter than other light sources. They are pretty much best used as grow lights. Now, if a light source has to be strong in order for plants to grow, wouldn’t that mean that in order to have healthy plants, you lamps should consume more energy. Not necessarily: LEDs are known as champions of efficiency. For example, one LED light consumes less electricity than incandescent and fluorescent lights. They are up to 80 percent more efficient. Of all the energy a LED light consumes, 95 percent goes on the light while only 5 percent goes on heat emissionsThat means that your plants are safer, as it is harder for LEDs to burn or dry out your plants compared to incandescent lights. This makes them more environmentally friendly as less electricity is used for the brightness of a lamp. It also makes them the best value deal for the money invested. Being a plant grower and cultivator, you must love nature by default, so you should show it by switching from traditional light sources to LEDs.
Fluorescent lights are built with mercury as one of its main components. When it burns out, you are left with a chunk of bonafide poison in your hands that can’t be recycled or reused. Mercury is very dangerous to the environment and it is estimated that one gram of this dangerous substance can pollute up to 20 acres of water surface. It is still one of the main contributors to fish poisoning. Remember those horrifying images of piles and piles of dead fish that you have probably seen in a nature TV program? That happens when mercury enters the water.
Incandescent lights, on the other hand, are built with heavy metal parts. The most important piece of an incandescent light bulb is its shining filament. In layman’s terms, it is that piece of wire inside the bulb that emits light and it can be made out of chromium, iridium, rhodium, ruthenium, osmium, molybdenum and tungsten. Once they start breaking, you are essentially throwing away dangerous and poisonous metals plus these metals are very hard to find in nature, and if the trend of harvesting these materials continues, we will be left with a shortage.
LEDs are made out of pieces of plastic which make them easier to recycle. They have no dangerous chemicals (well, apart from plastic) or rare materials that can be used for a better purpose.
Direction of light
Unlike other light sources, LEDs are so small that they can be conveniently placed on a flat surface. This means that it is easy to manipulate LED grow lights and make them shine in any direction you want. Other light bulbs send light all around. Since LEDs are small, they emit a direct light beam in a specified direction. Your light will no longer be bouncing off the walls and ceiling but directed to where it can do the best.
I don’t know about you, dear reader, but there is nothing more irritating for me than entering a room, flicking a switch and finding out that the light bulb has burnt out. Since we use lights only in the dark, that means that this annoying phenomenon keeps occurring in the worst part of the day i.e. in the night when all the hardware stores are inconveniently closed. I can’t even start to recall how many times my foot has found it’s demise stepping on a sharp and pointy object.
However, with LEDs, this can be a thing of past or at least it can occur less frequently. LEDs are generally praised as being super resistant and durable. One LED light has a lifespan approximately 40 times longer than an incandescent light bulb. As for the fluorescent light bulbs, you would have to replace it up to 6 times than your average LED lamp.
Tips on how to choose the best LED grow light for your needs
I guess it was the perfect buying guide for you. Before picking a best LED grow light for your home, you should consider these things.
- Whatever stage you’re in, it has you covered with its full-cycle lights.
- Pricy? Yes, but it does justice to the performance.
- There is a huge number of its users out there and they are all more than satisfied.
Final Words – Wrapping it up
Your plants are living beings just as you are. You wouldn’t mind someone taking you to an all-you-can-it buffet so why not do the same for your plants. Choose wisely, see what our requirements are. If it is a bigger operation or a business project, you will have to spend that extra buck for a bigger light such as VIPARSPECTRA 450W. If it’s a small cupboard sized greenhouse, a simple TaoTronics 36W will do you good saving you electricity. Anyway, we hope this was a helpful guide. We wish you all the luck in finding the best LED grow light for cannabis.