Every cannabis grower intends to harvest good yields irrespective of whether he or she is growing cannabis commercially or for their personal use. One of the best ways to ensure that you get high returns from your weed is to have big buds on your crops. Getting your plants to produce bigger buds requires dedication, patience, and hard work.
You also need to ensure that you follow all the growing guidelines, feed the crops with all the right ingredients, give them enough light, and show them some tender loving care. Outdoor weed growers have it easier than indoor growers do because they do not require as much input in terms of growing equipment for the growth of their weed. Having it easier than indoor growers, however, does not mean sitting back and allowing nature to take its course for the healthy growth of the crops.
Just like indoor growing, weed growing outdoors needs just as much care as that growing indoors. If you let nature take its course, the result will be small buds, weak growth, and minimal low-quality yields. Read on to learn more about how to grow bigger buds outdoors.
Table of Contents
Choose the right strain
Before you even go to the other steps that you can do to the crops to grow bigger buds, you should ensure that you choose the best strains to grow. The genetics of the plants play one of the most significant roles in the kind of buds and harvest you will get. Where you buy your strains will also matter. For best results, make sure you by your seedlings from reputable online seed banks.
One of the best ways to ensure that your outdoor plants grow larger buds is by pruning. Some people assume that pruning is probably getting rid of too much of the plant foliage, but it is not. As the plants grow bigger, they form nodes, which translate to available locations for more bud formation.
Having more nodes or more buds, however, does not lead to having better quality. Having too many buds growing on the lower parts of the plant instead of the upper part of the plant means that the buds do not get enough light to make them grow large and healthy. The upper part of the plant canopy blocks light from reaching the lower sections, which leads to buds not maturing into anything you would be proud to see.
To ensure that you get larger buds, you need to prune off the nodes and branches on the lower parts of the plant in order to allow light to penetrate through properly. Doing this creates larger plant canopies that absorb light better. This kind of pruning called “lollipopping” enables the buds at the top of the plant to receive more nutrients and energy in just one take, making them grow larger and healthier.
Training your cannabis plants is another great way to grow bigger buds. Allowing your outdoor plants to improve without any help, leads to some of the plant stalks growing more extensive than the branches surrounding them. When this happens, the large stems block the surrounding and lower branches from receiving enough light.
With less light, colas and buds on the branches surrounding the large stalks lack enough sunlight resulting in less formation. Stress training of the plants comes in handy at this point. The exercise entails bending the branches and tying the stalks to prevent them from growing higher than the branches.
Stress training helps to make the plant canopy even with the stalk and all the surrounding branches, which in turn leads to even distribution of sunlight. Stress training is not an easy exercise to carry out, especially for first-time growers. It is delicate, and if you are not careful, the stalks can snap when you are trying to tie them.
The difference between growing marijuana indoors and producing the same outdoors is that with the latter, you can control the lighting system for the crops. What this means is you choose the light units best for the crop growth, you select the distance between the lighting system and the plants, you select the wattage, and the hours the plants need to receive light. In outdoor growing, you depend on only the natural light from the sun, which you cannot control.
Even though you cannot control the power from the natural source of light, or the sun, you can control the space your crops have between them to ensure that they get even distribution of light. In a grow tent, you can give a space of 3 by 3 feet between crops, but outdoors it is advisable to increase the area to 5 by 5 to ensure that there is no overlapping of colas or leaves. Allowing more light penetration into each plant is a sure way of growing bigger buds.
Spacing the plants may lead to a reduction in the number of crops, but it also means you get more yield from potent and healthier-looking buds. Make sure that no crops grow under trees or anything that can block the light from reaching every part of the plant.
- 【TOP NOTCH QUALITY LED GROW LIGHT】: Use Samsung LM301B diodes; full spectrum light ideal for all stages of growth; adjustable light intensity with dimmer switch; protective coating on LEDs helps extend the lifespan; no fan, zero noise. Only consumes 200w, running 50% less power than the HPS or Blurple lamps. This light delivers a powerful light output and uniform canopy penetration resulting in maximum yields.
- 【DURABLE & STURDY GROW TENT】: 100% Reflective Mylar interior maximizes the efforts of grow lights; heavy-duty 1680D Oxford cloth exterior adds the durability; reliable SBS zipper shut and opens smoothly; double stitching for strength and light protection; well-constructed with strong and sturdy steel frame; plenty of openings for fans/ vents/ electrical cords; removable viewing mesh screen for viewing & removing humidity; bottom tray prevent water leakage on the floor and keep tent stay clean.
- 【POWERFUL VENTILATION SYSTEM】: Quiet and powerful 4” Inline fan and RC412 Australian carbon filter and flex aluminum ducting combo; very easy to install and use; gives strong airflow and proper air circulation.
- 【MONEY & ENERGY SAVING COMPLETE GROW TENT KIT】: Compare the cost of individual items and the cost of our indoor grow complete kit, our kit saves $$ and a lot of time vs buying each item separately. Designed to be user-friendly; comes with easy-to-follow installation instructions; is easy to assemble and is very simple to operate, even for beginner growers. All parts are compatible and properly matched; everything comes in 1 box with discreet packaging.
- 【VALUE FOR THE MONEY】: Getting a high-quality grow tent kit means that you’ll get more value for a longer period of time. We provides 5 year warranty and has maintenance center in the USA. Spider Farmer has been insisting on creating more efficient, more suitable and better quality home grow equipment. For any questions, feel free to e-mail us and we will help you resolve it. Quality backed by our ironclad!!!
- GROW INDOORS ALL YEAR: Grow a variety of leafy greens, herbs, vegetables, fruiting plants, and flowers. Low-pressure aeroponics allows for faster plant growth and better nutrient absorption for healthier plants. High quality plastics made from PC-ABS and HDPE, food safe and won’t break or break down over time, preventing microplastics from contaminating your food. Assisted automation allows you to learn how to maintain and manage the system. Germination should be done outside of the system.
- DESIGNED FOR HIGH-YIELD: The system is designed to deliver maximum yield, allowing your plants to fully express themselves. The plant spacing has been engineered to allow for large plants to grow. The side-mounted lights ensure the plants receive light from top to bottom. Light exposure from the six light bars gives the plants 360 degree light exposure. The root zone is contained in the modular vertical pole, and allows the plant’s roots to grow to their greatest potential.
- DESIGNED BY GARDENERS, FOR GARDENERS: We designed the Aerospring to be the most usable hydroponic system. Easy access to the water reservoir for water management. The 20 gallon reservoir, the largest in its class, requires less frequent refilling. Easily detachable internal hose for draining/changing water. The vertical pole is easy to disassemble for cleaning and reassembly, and dishwasher safe. Plastics are opaque, preventing algae from growing inside. The wheelbase allows for easy movement.
- QUALITY COMPONENTS: Full-spectrum, professional grow lights, highly efficient at 2.05 (umol/J), light intensity at 367 PPFD (μmol/m2/s) at 8in, CRI >90, CCT = 4000k, estimated lifespan 50,000 hrs, for all stages of plant growth. Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 pump, with a 3+2 year manufacturer’s warranty. Oxford D600 tent material, with highly reflective interior panels, prevents light seepage, keeping your living space dark. Aerospring systems are manufactured in Singapore to strict quality assurance.
- SUPPORT & COMMUNITY: We pride ourselves on supporting growers. Our mission as a small, hands-on company is to empower people to take back control over their food - to reconnect with it and truly experience the joy of growing their own food, right at home. We are ourselves growers and urban farmers, and we want to pass on our positive experiences and knowledge to you. Aerospring owners get exclusive access to our online community, for growing tips, grow guides, troubleshooting and guidance.
- An advanced grow tent designed to create optimal climate conditions for year-round plant cultivation indoors.
- Features durable frame that uses 50% thicker steel poles and carries 2x more weight than standard grow tents.
- Higher density 2000D canvas prevents light leaks while diamond mylar amplifies light reflectivity.
- Future ready design featuring controller mounting plate with passthrough for no light-leak cable management.
- 60” x 60” x 80” | 10 Plant Capacity | Viewing Window | 2x Side Doors | Reflective Floor Tray & Tool Bag
- Package Include: 24" x 24" x 55" grow tent, LED grow light, and 4" ventilation kit includes 4" inline duct fan, carbon filter, flex ducting, 3pcs duct clamps, thermometer and hygrometer, timer, 4pcs 5 gallon grow bags, 2pcs adjustable rope hangers.
- Full Spectrum Grow Light: Dimmable full spectrum LED grow light consumes only 100W with 240 pcs LEDs. IP65 waterproof helps extend the lifespan. High efficiency that saves 50% on energy bills than HPS grow lights and delivers powerful light output to maximize the yields, idea for all growth stages.
- Durable & Sturdy Grow Tent: Well-constructed with strong and sturdy steel frame. Reflective mylar interior gathers more grow lights. Heavy duty 600D oxford cloth exterior increases the durability. Reliable zippers provide smoother shut and open. Double stitching perfectly lock light inside. Waterproof tray makes your floor away from water leakage.
- Effective Ventilation System: Noise-free 4" inline duct fan, Australian charcoal carbon filter and flex aluminum ducting offer a effective ventilation system. Strong and powerful airflow helps eliminate all unwanted smell, also ideal for humidity control.
- Save Your Time And Money: Forget about choosing the individual item one by one. Our complete grow tent kit not only saves your time but also saves your money. Super easy to assemble and operate, even for beginner growers. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. We are always here to provide excellent customer service support before and after buying.
- Complete Kit Included: 48x48x80-Inch grow tent, 6 Inch 440 CFM Inline Fan, carbon filter, 8 feet of ducting, 2 stainless clamps, VS1000 LED grow light, grow room glasses, rope hangers, 3x3-ft. elastic trellis netting, 5pcs 5 gallon grow bags, temperature humidity monitor, pruning shear, and digital timer
- Promote Plant Growth: VIVOSUN grow tent is equipped with a lined zipper double stitched to avoid light leaks; is made up of 100% reflective Mylar, ensuring the plants absorb the nutrients through the internal lights
- Lower Costs & High Efficiency Light: VS1000 LED grow lights use the latest LED plant light technology, including Samsung LM301 Diodes, high-energy efficiency with 2.75 μmol/J; Extremely high output but consumes only 100W of electricity, making it more efficient than traditional HID lamps and other plant lamps on the market
- Strong Support for Plants: Elastic trellis netting provides a sturdy support structure; The grow bags provide excellent air circulation and drainage; The design of pruning snips is perfect to use whether you are right- or left-handed with ease; The digital timer, thermometer, and hygrometer make it extremely easy to control the environment in your grow room
- Advanced Grow Made Easy: The tent is supported by strong metal poles that are specially finished for smooth installation; Don’t waste time buying and returning parts that may or may not be compatible or safe to use together! This VIVOSUN complete system includes every part you need to get set up for advanced grow
Nutrients and soil
Using the proper nutrients and the right soil is also another way of ensuring that you grow bigger buds outdoors. One of the mistakes some people growing their weed outdoors is to assume that they can plant the seeds in the existing soil and wait for miracles. Weed needs soil rich in nutrients for the seedlings to germinate into healthy crops.
The dirt soil that you pop the seeds into may not contain any nutrients conducive to healthy crop growth. What you need to do is to get potting soil for your outdoor crops. The crops also need proper nutrients such as Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium (NPK) for them to flourish. Feeding the plants with the right nutrients and soil will lead to more foliage and better vegetative growth.
The healthier the plants grow during the vegetative stage, the more the yield. During the flowering stage of the crops, reduce the nitrogen input to allow the buds to grow bigger and faster, as they become denser. During this stage, you can add other nutrients such as bat guano and worm castings.
- Get your garden going with FoxFarm Grow Big, our liquid concentrate fertilizer that supports lush vegetative growth.
- FoxFarm Big Bloom Liquid Plant Food is formulated for use on all plants and can be used every time you water. OMRI Listed and Registered CDFA Organic Input Material.
- FoxFarm Tiger Bloom is a phosphorus fertilizer that contains nitrogen to support vigorous growth. FoxFarm Tiger Bloom is designed to encourage abundant fruit, flower and multiple bud development.
- FoxFarm Big Bloom, FoxFarm Grow Big, and FoxFarm Tiger Bloom, together at last. Designed to work together to support vigorous growth, multiple bud development and abundant fruit.
- Twin Canaries Conversion Chart included with every order.
- 500 ml bundle set
- Lush, sturdy growth from 3-part nutrients designed specifically for high value
- 3 part solution: You get advanced nutrients bloom, micro and grow
- State-of-the-art carrier molecules to ensure their plants get the maximum amount of nutrients
- You will never have to worry about your pH again
- This starter pack is intended to get you off the ground with your garden. It contains four of our tried-and-true fertilizer products that successful growers, on all scales, have come to depend on.
- Made from the highest quality ingredients, specifically formulated to save you time and money. For use in soil, coco and all hydroponic mediums.
- It’s essential to provide the right nutrients at the right stages of growth. Growth Science will walk you through those steps with this, cost-effective starter pack.
- Each pack contains 5 bottles. 1 pint of Base A, 2 pints of Base B, 1 pint of Solid start, and 1 pint of rock solid
- Base A and B form the foundation of the Growth Science system. Together they provide your plants with essential macro and micro nutrients essential for growth.
- Larger, heavier, denser flowers
- Flowers with more essential oils, aromatics, terpenoids, phenols and other potency factors
- Measurable, significant increases in overall harvest weight and market value
- No assembly required
- Lush, sturdy growth from 3-part nutrients designed specifically for high value
- 3 Part solution in 1 package: You get advanced nutrients bloom, micro and grow in 1 liter size each
- State-of-the-art carrier molecules to ensure their plants get the maximum amount of nutrients
- You will never have to worry about your PH again
Control Pests and Bugs
Controlling pests and insects from attacking your crops does not have any direct control over the growth of the buds, but it is an essential factor to consider. Growing your plants outdoors means that you may not have control over animals getting into your farm to eat the plants. You can avoid this by building a protective fence around the plants to keep away animals such as deer, squirrels, and other small or large animals.
You can also use special pest control techniques such as specialized solutions and essential oils to keep bugs, spider mite, and fungus infections from attacking your plants. After all, what you want is an abundant harvest, and some animals eating away your crops may reduce the yields.
Read next: Best Insect Fogger for Cannabis
- The same effective system used by professionals to kill mosquitoes that may carry the West Nile virus
- Kills and repels mosquitoes, biting files, and flying insects for up to 6 hours
- Enjoy your yard in just 5 minutes with no offensive odor.
- Kills and repels mosquitoes and biting flies for up to 6 hours.
- Propane powered for ultimate portability - uses either tall (14.1 oz.) or short (16.4 oz.) canister. No electricity needed.
- The same effective system used by professionals to kill mosquitoes.
- Kills and repels mosquitoes, biting flies, and flying insects for up to 6 hours
- Dispenses 10 feet cone of odorless fog. Treats an average 5,000 square foot yard in less than 10 minutes
- Everyone can enter the treated area as soon as the fog disperses (typically less than 5 minutes)
- Propane powered making the fogger completely portable. Compatible with a 14.1 oz. tall style propane cylinder (sold separately)
- KILLS ON CONTACT: Hot Shot Fogger With Odor Neutralizer kills on contact and controls heavy infestations – and keeps killing for up to 2 months.
- KILLS HIDDEN BUGS: Creates a fine, penetrating mist that reaches deep into cracks and crevices to kill the bugs you see and kill the bugs you don't see.
- WHERE TO USE: Use in enclosed spaces such as apartments, attics, basements, barns, boat cabins, cabins, campers, crawl spaces, garages, homes, households, sheds, storage areas and trailers.
- NON-STAINING: This clear, non-staining formula won't leave a wet, messy residue.
- EACH CAN COVERS 2,000 CU FT: Treats 2,000 cubic feet of unobstructed space
- For use with Black Flag, Burgess, Cutter, and Repel branded thermal foggers
- : KILLS BY CONTACT: Controls a variety of household pests, including roaches, ants (except fire, carpenter, harvester and pharaoh ants), fleas, spiders (except brown recluse), mosquitoes, silverfish, brown dog ticks, houseflies and more as listed
- EACH CAN TREATS UP TO 2,000 CUBIC FEET: Use one can to treat a room approximately 5 feet by 16 feet with an 8-foot ceiling.
- DUAL ACTION: Kills insects and leaves a fresh scent
- USE INDOORS: Treat in apartments, homes, attics, basements, garages, and household storage areas.
Planting your seedlings at the right season is also very important if you want to harvest bigger buds. Remember, you have no control over the weather changes if you are planting the crops outdoors. Choose the right season to transfer the seedlings to the ground outdoors to harvest the full-grown buds at the right time.
The best times to plant weed crops is during the spring and harvest the buds during summer. Planting the germinated seedlings before spring may expose them to frost and weak growth. Cold stress affects the weed crops, which leads to no harvest or if you are lucky, to a yield of small buds.
Do not harvest your cannabis before the “harvest window,” as this may reduce the potency and quantity of the yields. Allow the buds to grow to their last stage as this helps to increase their sizes and maximize returns. In the last three weeks, buds gain an additional 25% size.
Harvesting at the appropriate period also ensures that you get buds that have the potency you want from your weed. The longer the wait, the higher the potency, and the more the yield are what you should remember.
Keep a growing journal
Keeping a journal has nothing to do with growing bigger buds, but it helps you with your subsequent growing sessions. It is important to note everything you do during the different stages of growth to monitor the growth of the crops. If by any chance, you do not get a good harvest during one growing season, you can always refer back to the journal to check what you did wrong the last time.
Rectifying the mistakes may help you to do it the better second time around and grow bigger buds. All it takes is consistency and practice until you get it right.
Wrapping it up
The most crucial thing in weed growing is the sizes and potency of the buds. What you do to achieve this is vital, and following all the above steps will ensure that you get bigger buds. Therefore, space the crops for even lighting, prune the crops, stress train them, keep away the pests, feed them with the right nutrients and soil, and, best of all, ensure that your timing for planting the crops is right. With this done, you can be sure to enjoy a good harvest with quality buds.