Sometimes things can go wrong in your cannabis garden even when you are taking great care of your plants. Even the most experienced cannabis growers can occasionally experience problems and yellow leaves are usually the first sign of trouble. Chlorosis or the yellowing leaves can be caused by incalculable reasons, and this is why growers need to know their causes and potential remedies.
This article delves into the details of yellow leaves in cannabis plants to help you identify the common causes. We have also incorporated some helpful tips for curing affected plants.
Cannabis home growers can use these tips to prevent the leaves of their cannabis plants from turning yellow. Read on to know more about cannabis leaves turning yellow.
Table of Contents
- Proper Diagnosis of Yellow Leaves on Marijuana Plants
- Common Causes of Cannabis Leaves Turning Yellow
- When are Yellow Cannabis Leaves Considered Natural
- In Conclusion
Proper Diagnosis of Yellow Leaves on Marijuana Plants
The yellowing of leaves on cannabis plants can be caused by many factors. Growers need to narrow down any possible causes by analyzing the affected plants. You need to first take note of the location of yellow leaves on your cannabis plants. Determine whether the yellow leaves are situated at the bottom of the plant or whether it is only the new leaves that are affected. Here is how you can properly diagnose yellow leaves on cannabis plants.
Lower Leaves Turning Yellow
When the lower fan leaves on your plants turn yellow, it can be a sign that your plants are not getting adequate nitrogen. When the cannabis plants have a deficiency, the nitrogen in lower leaves will mobilize to enable new growth. This kind of chlorosis usually starts at the leaf tips and will slowly migrate to the stem.
Marijuana plant roots only absorb nitrogen when conditions are right. Therefore, soil that is extremely wet or dry and incorrect pH can slow down or stop the plants from mobilizing nutrients. If you notice only a few yellow leaves close to the base of the plant, the chlorosis can be a natural process of the plants shedding unwanted leaves.
Chlorosis of New Growth Leaves
When the uppermost leaves start yellowing, you need to first check for signs of light burn. The tips of new leaves will turn yellow when they are receiving excessive heat from grow lights. You should place your hand on the upper most leaves and if they get hot or warm, then it means the lights are very close.
If the yellowing is not caused by light burn, then it can be because of nutrients deficiency such as iron. Iron is considered an immobile nutrient, unlike nitrogen. Once iron has been absorbed by cannabis plants, it usually stays where it is. As a result, new growth leaves will not get iron and they will eventually turn yellow. When the yellowing is at the beginning of flowers, then it can be because of magnesium or calcium deficiency and the yellow can quickly clear up when you supplement calcium or magnesium.
Yellowing of Cannabis Seedling Leaves
If the leaves on your cannabis sprout or seedlings are yellowing, then this is not a nutritional problem. Seeds are packed with nutrients and energy and will grow healthy for a few weeks. Your seedlings may be turning yellow because of a lack of adequate light or bad watering habits.
When cannabis sprouts are overwatered, the roots will start drowning. As a result, adequate oxygen will not be absorbed and growth will not be facilitated resulting in the yellowing of leaves. The roots can also dry out because of lack of enough water and the seedlings will turn yellow and wilt. If your sprout grows skinny and tall, but leaves turn yellow, then it is a sign of lack of enough light and upgrading your lighting is necessary.
Common Causes of Cannabis Leaves Turning Yellow
Chlorosis is simply a technical term for the yellowing of leaves and mainly occurs due to a lack of chlorophyll in the leaves. Many factors can cause the yellowing of leaves in cannabis plants. Sometimes yellowing of leaves is natural, while other times it is your plant trying to show you it is having problems.
When marijuana leaves turn yellow, it does not mean they will die as there are remedies that can be used to completely stop this phenomenon. As a result, your marijuana plants will continue growing healthier and stronger. The yellowing of marijuana leaves can be caused by any of the following:
Overwatering is a common problem, particularly for novice marijuana cultivators. In a bid to meet all the needs of the plant some growers may end up overdoing things. As a result, growers may end up drowning their cannabis plants unknowingly. Overwatering tends to saturate the soil causing a reduction of oxygen levels, which eventually starves the roots.
Marijuana plants utilize roots for the uptake of nutrients from the soil. When the roots start dying off, the plants will have access to fewer nutrients resulting in deficiencies. The yellowing of leaves is common when cannabis plants are not getting the nutrients and mineral elements that they require to thrive.
Solving overwatering is simple. You can avoid over watering by ensuring that you plants only get enough water every day. Cannabis requires less water to grow than most growers think. Before you water your marijuana plants, it is advisable that you give the topsoil time to dry. You can verify this by using your fingers or pushing a skewer into the growing soil.
Underwater is also another cause of marijuana leaves yellowing. If your plants do not get enough water, they will develop yellow leaves. During transpiration, water potential is used in pulling up water into the leaves and stem. Water is also crucial during photosynthesis as it helps in the production of energy. This is the reason why leaves start wilting and turning yellow when water is missing.
When marijuana leaves do not get enough water, the tip of the leaves will curl downward developing a claw shape. Over time, the leaves will keel over and die if the marijuana growers do not intervene.
Fixing Chronic Underwatering Problem:
For chronic underwatering of cannabis plants, you just need to water your plants. Be sure to follow the recommended guidelines for watering your plants by allowing the top inch of the soil to completely dry out. Remember that diagnosing chronic underwatering is a challenge because this problem may just look like most nutrient deficiencies. However, your main clue will be your cannabis plants perking up whenever you water them.
Be sure to monitor the post-feeding behavior of your cannabis plants. You can prevent recurrence by using a humidity meter to accurately gauge when you should water your plants. Excessive water can cause root rot, while very little water can result in stunt growth.
Another common cause of yellowing of cannabis leaves is pH that is too low or too high. pH is simply the measurement of alkalinity or acidity of a liquid and it is determined by the level of hydrogen ions in the water. When the pH levels are off, cannabis plants tend to have challenges absorbing nutrients from the soil even when they are present close to the roots.
In general, the pH for water is 7.0 and this pH changes when you add nutrients to it. This is why you must be cautious of the pH of water that you are feeding your cannabis plants with. Growers can get the best yield and results from marijuana grown in soil that maintains a pH of about 5.8 to 6.0.
Fixing pH Imbalance:
Cannabis growers need to use a pH level measuring kit or pen to monitor the acidity levels of what they are feeding their cannabis plants. If the levels are not close to the optimum range, you can add an acid or base to lower or raise the pH levels.
- Quickly Understand the pH Scale of Water – pH PERFECT pH test kit will help you quickly determine the pH balance of water. Simply squeeze a few drops of pH PERFECT reagent liquid into a small sample of water and wait for the water to change color. Compare the water color with the included pH scale chart, to confirm pH levels.
- More Accurate for Testing Water pH Than pH Test Strips – pH test strips are designed for testing the pH levels of saliva and urine to determine where it sits on the pH scale, not for testing the pH balance of water. pH PERFECT is the ideal & accurate pH tester for water.
- Super-Sized Value 3-Pack – pH PERFECT includes three 0.33 ounce (10ml) bottles. Every time you test the pH levels of your water, or saliva, you’ll only need a few drops of pH PERFECT, making this value 3-pack super-long lasting.
- Test any clear liquid in a pH range of 4.0-10.0
- Easy to use squeeze bottle
- All parts and ingredients made in USA
- Instructions included
- Kit includes 1 water pH testing solution and 1 clear vial
- pH scale included on the side of the packaging
- Life Expectancy: 1 year if unopened, 6 months if opened
- Approximately 60 tests possible per pack
- Comes with easy-to-follow instructions
- Wide pH range from 4.0~10.0 for most clear liquid
- Easy to use squeeze bottle
- Easily portable and simple to use
- Instructions for use are included
- [MOISTURE, PH, SUNLIGHT IN ONE] Test soil moisture, pH value and sunlight by one single meter. Quickly helps you to know when you need to water your plants. Control the pH value in the soil and know whether the plants are getting adequate sunlight.
- [FASTER & MORE ACCURATE READING] The premium double-needle design supports the accurate and reliable measurement of soil moisture and pH acidity.
- [EASY TO USE] No batteries needed. Easily switch back and forth between moisture, pH, and sunlight position. Insert the sensor probes into the soil about 2-4 inches, adjust position of probe until pointer swings, and read the value. Clean the probe after each use.
- [WIDE MEASUREMENT RANGE] Moisture Range: 1-10 (1-3 Dry , 4-7 Normal, 8-10 Wet), Relative Light: 0-2000lux (0-200 Low, 200-500 Low+, 500-1000 Normal, 1000-2000 High), pH Range: 3.5-8ph (3.5-6.5 Acid, 7-8 Alkaline)
- [INDOOR & OUTDOOR USE] Design to be light and portable and easy to carry around for outdoor use. Ideal soil test meter for home, garden, lawn and farm, both soil-less mixtures and soil grown plants.
If the top of your cannabis plants are turning crispy, yellow, and curling up or down, then one cause can be light burn. In most cases, leaves closer to the lighting sources usually show severe symptoms. This is because excessive heat tends to fry the cannabis leaves causing massive damage to them. High-intensity and powerful lights like LEDs tend to cause light burn because they produce the least amount of heat.
How to Fix:
If your hand feels uncomfortably hot where the light hits the cannabis leaves, then it means the leaves also feel the burn. The best way to fix light burn is by moving the grow lights further away by a few inches. The optimal range between the plants and grow lights is usually 1 to 2 feet.
You can also bend over all affected cannabis plants to ensure they are further away from the light source. Ensure that the temperature at the uppermost leaves of the cannabis plants does not exceed 30 degrees Celsius or 86°F.
Read next: How Many Watts Per Square Foot for Led Grow Lights
- 【 HIGH PERFORMANCE 】 This full spectrum LED grow light is designed to provide the benefits of natural sunlight your plant needs at different stages of growth. It is enhanced with 12 additional advanced red lamp beads (660 nm) which encourage seed growth, photosynthesis, and flowering or fruit production. It is also cost-effective and generates LOW HEAT!
- 【 EASY INSTALLATION 】 Our grow light is plug-and-play and able to be LINKED UP to 4 units together (using the 5FT power cord provided) for additional boost. The fixture can be flush mounted or hung with 2FT hanging cables (included in the package). You can use these lights in most indoor areas, such as shelving units, kitchen cabinets, grow tents, garages, basements!
- 【 DURABLE DESIGN 】 This professional Grow Light is FCC-certified and comes with a 1-year limited warranty. It is damp rated for use indoors in humid conditions. The modern design is in a light-weight enclosed housing, which prevents build-up of dust. Rated with a 30,000-hour lifespan. 100% satisfaction guaranteed!
- 【 HEALTHY LIVING 】 Building an indoor garden has never been easier! Grow your own organic lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries, herbs, thyme, rosemary, basil, mint, sage, peppers, perennials, garlic, and much more!
- HIGH QUALITY LED GROW LIGHT: KingLED grow light has adopted the newest LM301B LEDs to provide high PAR output, high energy efficiency with 2.8 umol/J while improving light penetration. Perfect for 3’x3’ vegetative coverage and 2.5’x2.5’ flowering coverage
- FULL SPECTRUM LED GROW LIGHT: The proportion of the spectrum has been adjusted in order to provide more matching spectrum for MJ, provides full spectrum lighting of natural light for plants, veg and bloom modes are designed to provide proper light for plants in different growth stages from seedling to flowering to greatly increase your harvest.
- COST-EFFECTIVE LED GROW LIGHT: Different from the traditional grow lights, Our 2000W LED light adopts a high-tech SMD LEDs and reflector technology , compares to traditional 1000W HPS/MH while consuming only 200W! It provides brighter light and save more electricity which also can save a lot of money for you
- DURABLE LED GROW LIGHT:Multiple high-speed mute fans and upgraded aluminum radiators enable the light bulb to work at 50°F to 60°F that is lower than other lamps. In a lower temperatures, your plant won’t be burned which could increase your lighting time and promote plant growth, Super long use time, so that you do not have to change the light frequently
- PROFESSIONAL SERVICE: 3 years Professional Service and free return for 90 days. KingLED Laboratory has more than seven years of sales with after-sale service team professional in design, sales and production for the best products and service for the majority of customers. If you have any questions, please contact us freely, and we will reply within 24 hours to provide you a satisfactory result
- 6000K White Light - equipped with 10 Red + 74 White LEDs, this growing Lamp is similar to the full-spectrum sunlight at noon,that is professionally designed for indoor garden plants.Moreover, its color rendering index is as high as 95, the light is soft and flicker-free, which is very suitable for reading lamp
- Timer Function & Multiple Settings - this growing light offer the timer function with 3 options that is 4Hrs or 8Hrs or 12Hrs, it is based on a 24 hour cycle from the time you set the timer.For example,when keeping power ON, if you select 8 Hrs,it will turns ON for 8 hours per 24 hours.The other two timer settings are the same.
- Easy to Install - with flexible Gooseneck & strong clamp,it allows you to place the growth light in any direction to provide the best lighting angle for your plants，meet the cover around the plant.Powered by USB or AC Power Plug
- High Efficiency LED Lamp - as for LED power draw this seedling lights just comsume about 10watt and is equavalent to a 50W Halogen Bulb.Estimately monthly cost roughly $2 in electricity (12 hours a day). It is a great gift if you growing some small house plants.
- 【365 Days Worry-free Warranty】GooingTop service team offer 365 days warranty and 24h friendly customer service. If there are ever any issues about the product, please feel free to contact us and we will send you a new replacement or full refund.
- UPDATE DIODE and BETTER LIGHT PENETRATION: SF1000D changed from SAMSUNG 301D Diodes to More Expensive 301B Diodes-the highest light output LED available at present, delivers powerful light output and uniform canopy penetration to resulting maximum higher yields compared with other LED grow lights.
- SUNLIGHT SPECTRUM: Blue, Full spectrum 660-665nm,3000K,5000K and IR, ideal for all growth stages (germination, clones or cuttings, mothers, vegetative, and flowering applications), help you solve of home’s natural light wasn't going to be adequate, turn your seeds into your own supply, produce beautiful high yielding plants.
- LOWER RUNNING COSTS: SF1000D grow lights with high Energy Efficiency, Better Light Penetration. Consuming only 100W, achieve better or comparable results than 200 watts HID with 50% less heat and power consumption. Get 40% higher yields with less energy compared with other brand diodes. Veg footprint is 3 x 3 ft, Flowering footprint is 2 x 2 ft.
- SAFER & MORE RELIABILITY: No Fan ZERO Noise, large areas of solid aluminum heat sink, special protective covers for cables, waterproof LED board, 50% longer lifespan compare with other brand lights. Allowing you to grow with confidence.
- VALUE FOR THE MONEY: SPIDER FARMER LED Plant Lights are often copied but will never have our quality or commitment, we provide 5 years of after-service at a local maintenance center(US/CA/UK/EU/AU). Make sure you purchase authentic Spider Farmer grow lights, really can give you high-quality grow lights – at a price that is affordable. For any questions, feel free to e-mail us, and we will help you resolve them. Quality backed by our ironclad!!!
- Full-Spectrum Sunlike Lighting: Designed with 2142 Samsung LM301 (3000K+6500K) lights and 84 660nm Osram lights in the white, warm-white, red, and far-red light spectrums; The 660nm diodes improve photosynthesis
- Daisy-Chain-Ability: The daisy-chain ability allows connections of up to 160 lights in a series; We offer you a digital timer to control/preset the light; It can be used for grow tents (perfect for 4’ x 4’ or 5’ x 5’)
- Foldable Design & Detachable Ballast: The grow light can be folded up to 180° making it easy to install or store; It comes with a detachable ballast and a 9.8ft. long power cord with 120V America NEMA 5-15P plug
- Dimmable & Uniform Lighting: Comes equipped with a dimming knob with 6 levels of light intensity ranging from 0% (off), to 40%, 50%, 60%, 80% and 100%; The light bar design has IP66 water prevention
- High Efficiency & Stability: With LM301 Diodes & OSRAM 3030 and the Inventronics driver, this grow light achieves 40% higher PPFD than HID lamps and delivers high-efficiency (2.8μmol/J) with low power consumption (645W)
Heat Stress or Cold Shock (Temperature Problems)
Extreme temperatures can also cause the yellowing of cannabis leaves. Heat can affect the growth of pot plants and is usually caused by grow lights or poor circulation of air in the grow room. If you are cultivating your marijuana plants outside or in the basement, a cold spell during the night could also damage your plants.
When marijuana plants experience heat stress, the leaves usually turn yellow and they dry up. On the other hand, cold shocks cause the leaves to droop and eventually turn yellow. Either temperature extremes can kill your cannabis plants very fast.
Most indoor cannabis growers tend to struggle with heat rather than cold. When temperatures are below 10°C or 50°F, they can cause the leaves to become yellow and pale. Some marijuana plants can even die when the temperatures hit the freezing point.
How to Fix Temperature Problems:
You can use your hands to carry out the hand test where you hold the cannabis plants to ensure they are not extremely hot. If the surface feels too hot, then you should move the light up and away from the plants. You should also regulate the temperatures if they are above 85°F during the day or below 60°F at night.
You must also ensure that the grow space has good air circulation as it prevents hot spots. In addition, good air circulation will keep temperatures balanced through the whole room and aid the exchange of oxygen and CO2. If you are using grow containers, you must ensure they are placed on raised ground because putting them directly on the concrete floor can kill them overnight because of low temperatures. If your plants are outdoors, you can cover the plant roots at night to keep them warm.
If your cannabis plants are watered correctly and the pH is okay, then the problem may be a lack of nutrients. For the yellowing of leaves, the culprits are usually nitrogen, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, zinc, sulfur, and potassium. Be sure to check the location of the yellowing on your cannabis plants and leaves. This will give you clues to help you know the nutrients that are lacking.
How to Fix Nutritional Deficiencies
Cannabis growers can stop the yellowing of leaves caused by a lack of nutrients by using fertilizers designed specifically for cannabis plants. You can avoid deficiencies by finding a fertilizer that contains all essential micro and macronutrients that cannabis plants need. Even though the nutritional needs of cannabis vary based on the strain, having these baseline nutrients will protect your plants from nutrient deficiencies.
Using excessive fertilizer can also cause issues that can result in the yellowing of cannabis leaves. However, this can be fixed by simply flushing the soil with water to eliminate nutrient buildup in the soil.
Read next: Best Bloom Boosters Nutrients for Marijuana Growth
- Get your garden going with FoxFarm Grow Big, our liquid concentrate fertilizer that supports lush vegetative growth.
- FoxFarm Big Bloom Liquid Plant Food is formulated for use on all plants and can be used every time you water. OMRI Listed and Registered CDFA Organic Input Material.
- FoxFarm Tiger Bloom is a phosphorus fertilizer that contains nitrogen to support vigorous growth. FoxFarm Tiger Bloom is designed to encourage abundant fruit, flower and multiple bud development.
- FoxFarm Big Bloom, FoxFarm Grow Big, and FoxFarm Tiger Bloom, together at last. Designed to work together to support vigorous growth, multiple bud development and abundant fruit.
- Twin Canaries Conversion Chart included with every order.
- 500 ml bundle set
- Lush, sturdy growth from 3-part nutrients designed specifically for high value
- 3 part solution: You get advanced nutrients bloom, micro and grow
- State-of-the-art carrier molecules to ensure their plants get the maximum amount of nutrients
- You will never have to worry about your pH again
- This starter pack is intended to get you off the ground with your garden. It contains four of our tried-and-true fertilizer products that successful growers, on all scales, have come to depend on.
- Made from the highest quality ingredients, specifically formulated to save you time and money. For use in soil, coco and all hydroponic mediums.
- It’s essential to provide the right nutrients at the right stages of growth. Growth Science will walk you through those steps with this, cost-effective starter pack.
- Each pack contains 5 bottles. 1 pint of Base A, 2 pints of Base B, 1 pint of Solid start, and 1 pint of rock solid
- Base A and B form the foundation of the Growth Science system. Together they provide your plants with essential macro and micro nutrients essential for growth.
- Larger, heavier, denser flowers
- Flowers with more essential oils, aromatics, terpenoids, phenols and other potency factors
- Measurable, significant increases in overall harvest weight and market value
- No assembly required
- LOTUS NUTRIENTS are natural plant fertilizers designed for growing in soil, hydroponics, coco coir, auto feeder, indoor plants, or outdoor gardens with Grow, Bloom, Boost, Cal/Mag, and Carboflush.
- PURE & NATURAL: Naturally derived nutrients composed of raw ingredients containing essential micro and macro elements for your indoor plants or farm - we do not source from industrial byproduct!
- BIGGEST YIELDS: Easily grow bigger healthier plants from seed to harvest with large buds and flowers, thick stalks, and deep robust roots in soil, hydroponic, or coco coir mediums.
- HIGHEST QUALITY: Increase smell, and potency in your flowering plants with the highest quality dry nutrients designed by growers for growers.
- A CALIFORNIA COMPANY: Design by growers in California and backed by industry-leading customer support. A part of the Grow Strong Industries family of brands.
When are Yellow Cannabis Leaves Considered Natural
When cannabis seedlings are growing, the cotyledons are usually the first leaves to appear. As the seedling grows, the cotyledons will yellow and fall off. Cannabis leaves that are not getting adequate light will also start yellowing. These leaves should be removed if you are unable to find a way of penetrating light to these leaves. During the cannabis growing process, you may notice isolated yellow leaves that can be caused by the accidental snapping of leaves by the grower and this is normal.
In the last weeks of flowering, some cannabis leaves can naturally turn yellow as the plants reach the final phase of life. This occurs because the plants are more focused on reproduction and gathering nutrient resources into flowers or seeds.
Whether you are a pot veteran or new grower, cultivating your own pot can be quite a rewarding and enjoyable experience. However, it can be nerve-wrecking when the bright green leaves turn yellow and pale. However, as a grower, you should never panic or worry when you see your marijuana plants having yellow leaves.
The yellowing of leaves does not always mean your marijuana plants will die or wither away. In some cases, the yellowing of cannabis leaves can be a natural phenomenon or can be unintentionally caused by marijuana growers. Remember that cannabis leaves can turn yellow for no specific reason and may cause no harm to the plants.
If you notice your marijuana leaves are turning yellow, ensure that you determine the underlying problem. Addressing the problem can save your cannabis plants from complete ruin. Be sure to apply the above tips to help you stop yellowing of marijuana leaves before it eliminates your plants.
Read next: Common Cannabis Seedling Problems