One of the most frequently asked questions about cannabis are: “Do weed plants smell?” Even if you have never smoked or seen a marijuana growing plant, you must have heard that weed smells. Unfortunately, this is not a myth because the answer is yes- weed smells. Weed smell is one of the most challenging things that growers have to bear throughout their growing processes.
Despite the challenge, the pungent smell of marijuana is unique and appealing to every cannabis connoisseur. During the flowering stage, the unmistakable smell from the growing crops is hard to conceal unless you come up with different ways to do so. Growing the crop indoors is challenging, especially if you want discretion because you have to find ways managing your grow room odor control effectively.
If you need to keep the discretion that you are growing weed in your home, you must also know how to deal with the control of odor in the grow room. In this article, we give you tips on how to control odor in the grow room, but before we go there, you should learn why it is crucial to do so.
Table of Contents
- Why it is important to control, grow room odor
- Tips on Cannabis Odor Control
- Wrapping it up
Why it is important to control, grow room odor
Below are some of the reasons why many cannabis growers would want to control their weed grow room’s odor.
Discretion and security
Not every cannabis grower wants everyone to know what they are doing or planting. A smell emitting from the grow room may compromise your discretion and security irrespective of whether you live in a state that legalizes the growing of cannabis or not. It even becomes more problematic if you live in a country that does not allow the growth of the crop.
Dealing with nosy neighbors may also not be an easy thing to do. It may cost you some friendships, especially in cases where some people regard the growth of weed as something that is not right.
Keeping the odor at bay is also a sign of respect to your neighbors and visitors to your home. Do not assume that your neighbor will appreciate the smell of your favorite strain as much as you do. Allowing the smell to seep out of the grow room, again may gain you the wrath of your neighbors that may take forever to undo.
Low airflow in the grow room
A smell emitting from the grow room may also be an indication that the air circulation in the grow room is lacking. It could also mean that the ventilation setup you have put in place is not ideal, or there is too much heat in the grow room. If by any chance, you can smell the odor from the crops and grow room, you should go through the whole area to carry out a thorough investigation and rectify the problem.
Tips on Cannabis Odor Control
In as much as cannabis odor is part of what makes the crop stand out from the rest, too much odor in the grow room is not as pleasing. Controlling the grow room environment is one of the best ways of ensuring that your crops do not emit any odor, which may compromise your safety and security. Crops also grow better in an environment that is perfect in every way, including fresh and odorless clean air. There are many ways to control odor in your grow room and below, are some of the most effective ways.
Fit air and surface purifiers
People growing weed for commercial purposes have the biggest hassle in managing marijuana odor control in their grow rooms. One of the reasons for this is the number of crops in the grow room is larger than that of a non-commercial grow room. The best solution for commercial growing spaces is the installation of air and surface purifiers because they come in sizes large enough for bigger grow rooms.
The purifiers remove all airborne particles in the grow room, leaving it fresh, with a clean airflow, and more tolerable for both the crops and the grower. Some of the impurities that the purifiers get rid of are mold, pollen, smoke, bacteria, viruses, and dust, among others.
- AIR PURIFIERS FOR ALLERGIES AND PETS - The Mold Guard by Hypoallergenic Air is the ideal clean air machine for your home. Using bi-polar ionizer technology, this portable air purifier noticeably eliminates pet smells and allergens leaving your home smelling fresh for visitors and keeping your family healthy and happy.
- ANTIBACTERIAL HOME AIR PURIFIER - Enjoy not having to use strong chemical air fresheners that only hide the problem and create indoor air pollution. The Mold Guard neutralizes up to 99% of all bacteria, mold, allergens, odors and more, cleaning the air and sanitizing surfaces in your home.
- SMALL AIR PURIFIER FOR HOME: This mini air cleaner is easily portable throughout your house. Simply plug it in to remove unwanted pet smells, cooking fumes, tobacco smoke, and control your home environment.
- NO REPLACEMENT PARTS OR FILTERS: Don't waste your money buying expensive filters for your home air purifier. The Mold Guard features a washable pre-filter. No replacement parts for life.
- EXCLUSIVE ZERO OZONE POLAR IONIZATION TECHNOLOGY: This zero ozone machine for home helps you do your bit for the environment by using polar ionizer technology which splits water vapor naturally in the air into 60 million ions every second. The polar ions have been proven to neutralize pollutants, PM2.5 and biohazards than reform back into harmless water vapor and carbon dioxide
Improve air circulation
Cannabis plants need adequate air circulation through all their stages of growth. Besides lowering the odor levels, proper air circulation also helps to keep the temperatures in the grow rooms low. Adequate air circulation also helps to recycle any used carbon dioxide out of the grow space leaving only clean air.
Growing cannabis indoors requires the use of grow lights that have varying heat levels. During the different stages of growth, crops need proper ventilation to cope with the heat from the grow lights. Some of the lights come with in-built fans, while others do not have them.
In case you are using grow lights without any inbuilt fans, ensure that you install enough fans depending on the size of the grow space. Fans come in different types and sizes, all with varying air circulation levels. Pair the fans with exhaust fans and air ducts to get clean air that keeps odor away from the room and the crops.
Install dehumidifiers and air-conditioners
Another way of controlling odor in the grow room is by managing the room temperature and humidity effectively. The humidity levels of the cannabis crop drop as they grow through different stages. Weed requires less humidity in the flowering phase than it does in the vegetative phase.
If you notice that there are higher temperatures and humidity levels than there should be, you should install air-conditioners and dehumidifiers to help tackle the issue. The gadgets will not only eliminate the odor, but hey will also ensure that the crops grow under the temperatures and humidity levels they require for them to thrive.
Setup a carbon filter
Another way of managing odor in a grow room is by installing a carbon filter. A carbon filter is an exhaust with activated charcoal and pores. It helps to trap particles in the air that include mold spores, dust, and hair, among others. Activated carbon filters can manage 90% of weed odor control in a grow room effectively. Carbon filters last long, and they are easy to install and maintain. They are also highly practical and readily available.
- ✅1-PACK Cut-to-Fit Carbon Pad 16 x 48 x 1/8 inches for Air Filters Charcoal Sheet fits Range Hoods Furnace Filters removes Odor VOC Parts Accessories Replacement Replenishment and more
- ✅Removes Odors and Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) from the Air
- ✅Cut-to-fit Charcoal Sheet
- ✅Replace Model Series Parts Periodically to Keep Your Machine Fresh and Clean
- ✅Can Be Cut to Fit Range Hoods and Furnace Filters
- Designed to eliminate odors and chemicals for grow tents and hydroponics room.
- Features premium-grade Australian charcoal with higher absorption and longer life rating.
- Contains heavy-duty aluminum flanges, galvanized steel meshing, two hanging straps, and two clothed pre-filters.
- Enables maximum airflow passthrough for both intake and exhaust configurations.
- Duct Opening: 6” | Length: 16" | Airflow Rating: 410 CFM | Carbon: Australian RC412 at 1200+ IAV | Thickness: 38mm
- Thicker: STEELSOFT offers our customers an activated carbon filter in 16x50 inch and 3/8''(0.4 inch) thickness, much thicker than 1/8'' or 0.25'' thin option on market. A remarkable lighttight pad under your lamp! It is very easy to be cut by scissor.
- Odor Absorber: STEELSOFT activated charcoal air filter is well made of polyester fiber coated with high density charcoal grain. The 3/8'' thick carbon filter material makes it perfect to fit most air purifiers, compost bucket and pet litter box and effective to absorb the dust and odor to keep air fresh.
- Carbon Filter for Aquarium: Our activated charcoal filter sheets can be used for aquarium fish tank. Due to thicker, the carbon filter sheet can make better water purification in shorter period and keep pond clear longer time!
- Cut To Fit Charcoal Filter: It is more flexible and cost effective to get the cut to fit air filter rather than ordering the pre-cut charcoal filter sheet. The carbon filter can be cut round or square according to your need anytime. Our carbon filter 16x50 inch can be cut into 20 pieces 10x3.5'' for litter robot 3 or 4, which is much cheaper.
- NOTE: Because our carbon air filter is thicker, in MERV 7 grade working as a pre-filter, if you would like to apply it for your furnace, it is better to consult from the contractor regarding the pressure drop of filter, to keep the furnace not to be over-heated.
Use odor neutralizing and absorbing gels.
Cannabis growers will go to any lengths to mask the odor in their grow rooms. Sometimes masking the scent may require emergency solutions such as using absorbing and neutralizing gels. Gels are best for small grow rooms. The gels absorb the aromas from the plants, but they can only do so for a short period.
They also come with their scents that can alter the smell of the buds if left to stay in the room for longer than they should. The length at which you should use an absorbing or neutralizing gel or spray will depend on the size of the product, the size of the grow room, the number of crops, and the levels of humidity and temperature in the growing space.
Use ozone generators
Using ozone generators is not a very common practice, but it is just as effective as all the other methods in the industry. The people that use ozone generators are mostly commercial cannabis growers. Just like the carbon filters, ozone generators get rid of all contaminants in the grow room that include mold spores, pests, bacteria, and odor.
The generators work by producing ozone, which reacts with the pollutants to break them down to less harmful molecules through oxidation. In short, the generators use oxygen atoms to get rid of bad smell in a grow room.
- BETTER RESULTS W/ UNIQUE PULSATING FEATURE: Enerzen's O-777 circuit board with 11,000 mg/h adjusts fan speed and ozone output to create a "pulsating" effect. This aids in destroying any lingering "musty" or imbedded odors and results in longer lasting treatments.
- DESTROYS ODORS YOU CAN'T REACH: Ozone reacts directly with contaminents in the air, water, fabrics, and walls to destroy instead of mask them. Unlike other types of air purifiers, it does not require air passing through the machine to eliminate odors.
- COMMON USES: Odor decontamination in cars, boats, dumpsters, kitchens, bathrooms, basements, flood and fire affected areas, as well as any cooking, smoking, pet, "musty", or general odors.
- EASY OPERATION: Turn the timer knob. Leave the space. When ozone generation is finished, allow an additional 30 minutes for any residual ozone to revert back to breathable air.
- WARNING: All ozone generators are meant to be operated in unoccupied spaces only. Remove any people, pets, or plants. The space may be re-occupied after 30 minutes of "airing out". Not available for sale in California. EPA Est. No.: 94263-CHN-1
- 🍃【OZONE OUTPUT】- This Ozone Generators Ionizer has max ozone output per hour of 12000 mg, meeting the 2000 square feet of space. And it has a built-in the latest upgraded ceramic ozone board, which is sturdy and durable and has a long use life, easy to clean.
- 🍃【EASY TO USE】- Adopt a horizontal output design. The timer knob can be set for up to 180 minutes, and the "HOLD" setting can also be used continuously use. We suggest that to set a timer before you leave the room, ensure that no one (or pets，plants) is in the room when it is working. It can start from 10 minutes and increase the setup time if necessary, depending on the size of the space.
- 🍃【HIGH QUALITY】 - Adopt an exquisite all-metal shell, sturdy and durable, weighs only 5.9 pounds, and is equipped with a metal handle, which is convenient for you to carry with you. This is a great ozone machine for home, industrial, or commercial use.
- 🍃【WIDE USES】 - This O3 machine Ionizers Deodorizer is very suitable for your home, office and pet area, basement, car, etc areas. An ideal machine to help you clean smells of smoke, pet, car, cooking, and any unpleasant odors in your apartment, give you a wonderful space without unpleasant smells!
- 🍃【GOOD SERVICE】 - The ONAMOR Home/Commercial Ozone generator has a one-year extended warranty. If you have any questions about our product, please do not hesitate to tell us, we will give you a satisfactory solution within 24 hours.
- OZONE OUTPUT: An output of 5,000 mg/h can deodorize your space from odors, smoke, and volatile organic compounds (VOCs.) Use twice per week to maintain healthy air in your home.
- WHERE TO USE: Ozone generators can be to deodorize homes, offices, and schools. Ozone generators are especially helpful at removing odors in places like cars, kitchens, basements, and pet or smoking areas.
- TOUGH ON ODORS: Ozone is a very powerful deodorizing agent which removes leftover odors from smoke, cooking, pets, and general “musty” smells.
- EASY TO USE: The timer knob can be set up to 120 minutes or you can use the “HOLD” setting to produce ozone continuously. Set the timer, leave the room, wait for the ozone generation to end, and return 30 minutes after the residual ozone reverts back to breathable air.
- WORD OF WARNING: All ozone generators should only be used in unoccupied spaces. Don't let people or pets enter the area until 30 minutes after ozone generation ends. Not available for sale in California; EPA Est. No.: 94720-CHN-1.
Grow strains with fewer odors
All the above tips will help in the reduction of weed odor in the grow room, but you can go a step further to ensure that you get a minimum scent. You can choose to develop strains that emit low natural odor as they grow. Some of the most popular low odor strains include Northern Lights, Blue Mystic, and Durban Poison, among others.
Durban poison is a pure Sativa strain that produces giggle fits and a cerebral buzz after smoking. It has a distinctive taste of cinnamon and licorice, but it does not have any potent odor during its flowering stage.
Northern Lights may have one of the most skunk tastes and smells when smoking, but it does not emit any odor during the flowering stage. Blue Mystic has a berry fruity and smooth flavor when smoking it. Blue Mystic is an Indica strain that flowers in only ten weeks, and it grows with a mild odor during the flowering phase.
Another strain that you can grow without worrying about an odor during the flowering phase is Caramelicious. The strain is one of the easiest to grow, as it requires minimal management. It produces high yields, and it does better indoors than it does outdoors. The smoke from the strain feels and tastes like dessert, and it is famous for its relaxation effects.
Is it possible to tell when cannabis plants start to smell?
Yes, it is possible to tell when marijuana starts to smell. In the early stages during germination and the early vegetative stages of growth, cannabis does not have any odor. In the late vegetative mode, the smell remains minimal but faintly distinctive in some strains. At this stage, it is also easy to monitor and manage odors easily.
The way to monitor the odor is by rubbing your finger against the stem and sniffing the finger. At this stage, the most likely smell will be sweet, skunk, or musky. The leaves may not have any odor at this stage. During the flowering stage, all these changes as the plants start to reveal their sexes.
Terpene production during the flowering stage goes up, and if you have feminized strains, you can expect strong odors to follow with the fast growth. Terpene aromas increase with the coating of the trichomes. During this stage, if you do not do anything to mask the odors, you may not prevent anyone from outside the grow room from finding out that you are cultivating cannabis.
How safe is it to use ozone generators to grow room odor control?
You may have read about some organizations asking weed growers to stay away from using ozone generators. The best alternative to use instead would be carbon filters. In as much as ozone generators manage odor control, they are not the best devices to use as they may cause health issues to the people that encounter their applications.
In some states, using ozone generators is illegal, which goes to show just how risky they are. They are also a new concept in the market and expensive for small scale weed growers. The following links could provide more information on the dangers of ozone generators to cannabis growers.
Wrapping it up
Cannabis would be completely different without the distinctive scent that sets it apart from other crops. The odor may be appealing to smokers and growers, but not everyone may join in to feel right about the aroma. The distinctive strong odor could also get you into problems if you are growing the crop in a region with no legalization.
The scent could again mess up relationships between you and your neighbors, especially if they do not believe in the growing and smoking of weed. To keep your sanity, security, and discretion, you need to mask the scent. The above tips will help to manage the odor in the grow room and from your crops. You should also ensure that you have all the ventilation measures in place in your grow room before you venture into indoor cannabis growing.
We hope the above tips will help to guide you in keeping the friendship between you and your neighbor solid by not allowing them to sniff what you are planting. Read our website to find out more about the different products to use for odor control, such as air purifiers, dehumidifiers, and carbon filters.