If you are looking to start a hydroponic farm to grow marijuana, among the essential items you need to begin the project is a reservoir. The reservoir works as a storage for the nutrients solution that provides hydration and nourishment to the plants. There are different types of nutrient reservoirs in the market today all of which have different operational mechanisms.
Reservoirs can come in any size and are built from any material. Some hydroponic systems house the plants and the reserver together while in other systems, the nutrient reservoir is separate and relies on tubing’s and a water pump to delivers the nutrients to the roots through regular intervals. When choosing a hydroponic nutrient reservoir, it is best to go for a bigger size that can carry large amounts of the nutrient solution required to feed your marijuana plants. Smaller nutrient reservoirs are prone to swings in the pH level, depletion of oxygen and nutrient fluctuations. It is essential to maintain the temperatures of the nutrient solution in-between 65 and 75 degrees. Any higher than that, the oxygen levels will decrease making the environment suitable for the occurrence of root rot. When the temperature drops further than the range, the plant will experience stunted growth. Small reservoirs make use of aquarium heater to warm up a nutrient solution. Here are three of the best hydroponic reservoirs in the market today.
Best Article About Hydroponic On 11- 2023
The Top 3 Hydroponic Reservoirs for Growing Cannabis
Superponics Superponics-8 Hydroponic Reservoir System
The Superponics Superponics-8 Hydroponic Reservoir System is a favorite to many indoor cannabis growers. It helps your cannabis plants to grow five times faster than any other hydroponic method. It is safer and easier to use. The system helps your plants to thrive by combining the top feed watering with bottom feed oxygenation. It is a reliable growing method since there is more than one independent hydroponic grow system operating at the same time. The plants will still grow and thrive even one system collapses. The system leads to rapid growth rates and massive yields. The reservoir comes with a lid in which both are custom molded and UV stable. It is easy to use and clean. All you need to do is plug it I and add water. It comes with eight nest cups that allow you to hold up to 8 plants. It has Eco series air pumps that provide air to the hydroponic systems. The pumps are strong and durable. They are very quiet and can operate without the use of oil. It has a water pump that is run by a magnetic rotor to provide 132 gallons of water per hour to the system. The hydroponic system comes with a light timer to help control the light changes in your indoor environment.
Botanicare 707155 reservoir
If you are looking for a nutrient reservoir that is easy to maintain and provides excellent performance, you should consider acquiring the Botanicare 707155 reservoir. It is made using premium BPA-free materials of which 70 percent is recycled plastic core. The hydroponic system weighs 11 pounds and can accommodate 40 gallons of water. It comes with front and side bulkhead ports that allow the accommodation of an external pump. You can as well attach several reservoirs either in-line or side by side. It has a lid that comes with access points and covers. You do not have to remove the lid when adding nutrients into the reservoir. The reservoir is made in the USA and comes with a one year warranty.
Superponics Superponics-16 Hydroponic Plant Propagation Reservoir System
The Superponics-16 Hydroponic Reservoir System is quite similar to the Superponics-8 Hydroponic Reservoir System as they both speed up the growth of marijuana five times more than any HYDROPONIC RESERVOIR system. It utilizes top feeding, deep water culture, and aeroponics systems. The main reason plants grow faster than on any other hydroponic reservoir is because two hydroponic grow systems are always running at the same time. Whenever one system breaks down, the other system continuously runs enabling the plants to grow and thrive. The plants receive top feed watering and bottom feed oxygenation that helps in the development of plants. It comes with 16 net cups each of 3 inches that give space for the growth of 16 new plants. It comes with potent yet silent Eco series air pumps that help to provide oxygen in the hydroponic system. It has a water pump that is powerful enough to accommodate 185 gallons of water per hour. There is an analog light timer present that helps to detect sunrise and sunset automatically.
Choosing A Reservoir Set Up
Floating or Water Culture
This reservoir allows plants to float above it with their roots taking in the nutrients from the reservoir. You can use this method in a basic indoor growing setting.
It is another basic hydroponic system where the reservoir is under the plants. The plants are in a growing medium, and thick cotton like ropes are used to funnel the nutrient solution for the reservoir to the growing medium. The solution flows upwards through the line by capillary action and ensures the growing medium is always moist.
Top Feed/ Drip
In this system, the reservoir is under the plants. It pumps the nutrient solution above the plants through drip pipes and later feeds the cannabis plants by use of emitters. There is no wastage of nutrient solution as the excess flows back to the reservoir where it is pumped back again to the top maintaining the cycle.
Ebb and Flow
The ebb and flow system is a common and preferred method of use by most professionals. The reservoir is below the plants. The plants are placed on an open tray which is then flooded around four times in a day. The flooding solution drains to the reservoir. It is best if you have an overflow piping system to safeguard against excess pumping.
Nutrient Film Technology (NFT)
NFT has remarkable similarities to an Ebb and Flow system. Here, the reservoir can be placed anywhere as long as the pump is well functional and the excess nutrient solution flows back to the nutrient reservoir. In this method, plants are sitting in a tray and are fed the nutrient solution through a thin film of the solution that is accessible throughout the process.
Other Considerations When using a Reservoir
Always cover your hydroponic reservoir with a lid to reduce the evaporation of the nutrient solution and prevent any contamination problems. You do not want algae and pests to find their way to your cannabis plants as that would be detrimental to the quality of marijuana you produce. Also, ensure that you remember to clean your reservoir periodically to reduce the chances of molds pests or any other issues from occurring. While maintaining the hydroponic nutrient reservoir, you should keep the proper levels of pH and EC of the nutrient solution. Make sure that it lies in the range of 5.5 and 6.5.
If you do not have a filter for your hydroponic system, it would be a good idea to purchase one. A filter helps to prevent materials from flowing into the nutrient reservoir. Also, ensure that you clean it often to prevent the build-up of pests.
You may think of adding an extra reservoir to your hydroponic system. The purpose of the additional nutrient reservoir would be to provide and easy to access the supply of water. It is especially helpful to cannabis growers since the water releases chlorine and other chemicals after standing overnight bring it to a pH level that is closer to neutral than water straight from a tap. The water is also at room temperature which makes excellent conditions for the development of roots.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should be the size of a hydroponic reservoir?
When you grow your cannabis plants hydroponically, ensure that the small plants receive a ½ gallon of water, medium plants to receive 1 ½ gallon of water and large plants to get 2 ½ gallons of water. We recommend that you acquire a reservoir that is double the size of what you require to get the best plant results.
What temperature is the best in a hydroponic system?
Researchers claim that for a nutrient solution to be effective it should be kept between 65 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
A hydroponic nutrient reservoir helps you to store and prepare a nutrient solution. When choosing a nutrient reservoir, you should focus on acquiring a large one rather than a smaller one since it will be easier to maintain the pH, nutrient concentration and temperature. Also, you should ensure that you acquire a lid for the reservoir to prevent foreign materials from getting into the nutrient reservoir and causing any unnecessary damage. Since most reservoirs do not come with their cover, you can purchase it separately. Ensure that the nutrient tank lid black or opaque too. It helps to prevent the nutrient solution from growing algae while in the reservoir. We hope that with the information above you can make the right decisions when growing your cannabis plants using a hydroponic system.
- 🌱RDWC + TOP FEED DRIP -- Combines Recirculating Deep Water Culture System and Top Drip Hydroponic Systems, utilizes negative water pressure to recirculate oxygenated nutrient solution through the plant’s root zone. Requiring no timers, the 24/7 circulation and aeration encourage rapid root growth and ensure pH and EC levels are uniform throughout the entire system.
- 🌱COMPLETE RDWC KIT -- 4 x Growing Buckets, 1 x Reservoir, 1 x Air Pump, 1 x Water Pump, 5 x Air Stones, 4 x Top Drip Irrigation Kit, 1x Water Level Indicator, 4 Packs Clay Pebbles, 1x Instruction and other needed install accessories. The package contains everything you require for a complete hydroponics grow system.
- 🌱POWERFUL AIR PUMP & WATER PUMP -- 4 x 4L/min strong air output provides ample oxygen to the root via air stone; 800L/H water pump, which is more efficient and more water-saving to grow larger, healthier root systems of plants.
- 🌱WIDE APPLICATIONS -- This RDWC hydroponic system is simple to operate and well suited for residential, professional and commercial facility applications. Perfect for urban farmers, hobbyists, small commercial growers, and educators alike. Start your hydroponic gardening system business in a grow tent, greenhouse, garden, balcony, office, garage, or even basement! You can grow any type or size of plants imaginable!
- 🌱EASY INSTALLATION & AFTER-SALE SERVICE -- Hydroponic bucket holes are pre-drilled and come with an installation manual, we also provide a detailed assembling video, to ensure quick installation and maintenance. Any problems with this RDWC hydroponic system growing kit, please contact us, we will quickly solve the problems for you.
- HYDROPONIC RESERVOIR: This Hydrofarm 55-gallon drum is perfect for use as a reservoir for larger hydroponic systems
- HIGH QUALITY: High quality 55-gallon drum that comes with a pre-drilled cover and bolt ring closure
- DESIGN: Pre-drilled holes can be used for the grommets and barbed fittings necessary to outfit the drum with tubing for filling and draining
- MODIFIABLE LID: A larger hole can also be cut in the lid to act as a port for adding nutrients, checking pH, etc.
- SIZE: Dimensions (L x W x H): 22 x 22 x 35.5 inches; Color: Black; Weight: 24.2 pounds; Manufacturer warranty: 1-year warranty