After going through all the stages of weed growing starting from the GERMINATION phase to HARVESTING, you can now look back at the whole cycle and give yourself a pat on the back for giving your weed the love, care and attention it needed. You are however not through with the cycle because you still have to continue with the same tender love as you dry your weed. DRYING WEED though tedious and slow, prepares your weed for the final phase, which is the curing stage. There are many different ways to cure your weed and some people do it fast in order to enjoy the benefits.
It is possible to cure your weed quickly but the method you use to do so is much more important than the speed at which you want your weed to dry. The methods used vary from grower to grower depending on what they want their final product to taste like. In this article, we take you through the different ways you can cure your weed as we also highlight the benefits and disadvantages of the methods.
Some tool you need for curing weed:
- 【 State of The Art Digital Curing Kit 】- No Need In Buying Lids And Humidity Controllers Separately, When You Have Our All-New Starter Kit from Island Herbz. Our Kit Contains Everything You Need From Start To Finish
- 【 2 Way 4 Gram 62% Organic Humidity Controllers 】- For Curing Jars And Wide Mouth Curing Vessels. They Can Even Be Placed Inside Grove Bags And Used With Fermentation Lids As Well. Place Your 2 Way Humidity Pack Into Your Wide Mouth Mason Jar, Then Place Your Herbs Or Spices Into Your Jar, And Almost Immediately Our Humidity Pack Starts To Control The Humidity
- 【 100% BPA Free High Grade Plastic 】- Curing Jar Lids Are Made Of The Highest Quality Durable Plastic. Put Your Dry Spice Or Herbs Into A Smaller Wide Mouth Mason Jar For Storage With Our Kit
- 【 Wide Mouth Mason Jars "Universal" 】- Our Digital Lids Fit All Wide Mouth Mason Jars including Ball, Kerr, And All Other Curing Jars With A Wide Mouth, Even Fits The Ball Fermentation Kit And Containers With A Wide Mouth Style
- 【 NOT 100% AIR TIGHT 】- Island Herbz Cure Lids Are Not Air Tight Nor Do We Want Them To Be. We Want A Small Release Of Aerobic Decomposition Of Plant Material & Chlorophyl To Escape From The Jar. We Provide You With (4) 2 Way Humidity Controllers To Control The Jars Contents For 30 Days. Seal Jar After 30 Days
- PREMIUM GLASS JAR -- Our amber jars are made of high quality glass that resists cracking and breaking. Durable for long time use. BPA free, chemical free. The glass mason jars with airtight lids are 100% food safe and lead-free for healthy food storage and beverage drinking.
- RELIABLE AIRTIGHT SEAL -- Come with 6 lids and 6 bands, Our mason jar lid is made with a time tested airtight sealing compound to ensure a quality seal with each lid to prevent leaks, preserve foods and keeps food fresh and extends its shelf-life. And it's easy to open and close.
- AMBER CLEAR CANNING JARS -- Do you want to store light sensitive products like herbs? Yes, choose this amber color mason jar. At the same time, The amber clear mason jars ensure the highest visibility possible, allowing you to easily see the mason jar's contents and determine if they’re spoiled or filled up.
- 32 OZ WIDE MOUTH MASON JAR -- Wide mouth mason jar is easier to clean, reusable and more suitable for storage chunks of fruits and vegetables. The wide mouth allows easily reaching to the bottom of the mason jar and thorough cleaning by hand with a wet cloth.
- 100% SATISFACTION SERVICE -- We offer a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee. If you are unhappy with your purchase, you can contact us and get a no questions asked refund within 30 days. If you receive defective or missing jars, please contact us for replacement or refund.
- ✅ Burping Made Easy - No more frustrating time consuming untwisting and prying off lids. Use the oxygen extractor pump to burp the jar. Simply place, pump, press, done!
- ✅ Airlock Valve Technology - We use waterless airlock valve technology which functions as a sealing vapor lock for your container, allowing carbon dioxide to escape without letting oxygen in.
- ✅ Date Tracker - Keep track of batches with our date tracker embedded in every lid! No more needing to remember when that batch started.
- ✅ Minimizes Chances of Bud Rot - These lids create a vacuum seal inside your jar. It is very hard for contaminates to grow in a vacuum increasing your chances for success!
- ✅ Next Level Grow Experience - This new product will take your curing process to the next level and increase your chances for a fresh and successful cure!
- 1-gallon glass jar perfect for an assortment of purposes. Whether as a SCOBY hotel for brewing kombucha or sun tea, pickling, canning, this large mason jar will surely come in handy. Also great for dry food storage of pasta, beans, and oats.
- The 1-gallon jar includes a white metal screw-on lid that opens easily, while closing securely. The preserving jar’s lid includes a plastisol liner that creates a vacuum seal, ensuring contents stay fresh.
- Our wide-mouth jar is perfect for filling with large fruits and vegetables such as cucumbers, carrots, green tomatoes, and peaches. The fermentation jar’s 4 inch wide mouth allows for easy accessibility to reach deep inside and clean.
- Clear glass kombucha jars allow for quick and easy visibility of contents. The brewing jars are certified by the USDA, ensuring the glass is food grade, won’t leach harmful chemicals into foods, and never absorbs flavors.
- Paksh Novelty’s large pickling jar is dishwasher safe—although it is recommended lid be washed by hand. Dimensions: 10" tall with a 4" wide opening.
- 12 PACK CANNING JARS: Quart - 32 oz. large capacity - Safe for canning, pickling, preserving, fermenting fruits and veggies that can be canned and sealed for up to 18 months. Embossed measurement markings for precise filling. Label line for writing dates and identifying contents.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION - Made in USA, of Soda-lime Glass, USDA approved and toxin-free. Heat-tempered durability for water bath canning; microwave & dishwasher safe.
- AIRTIGHT SEAL - Hermetic Screw-on seal. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks, store up to 1 year; dull sounds allow you to test for best seal.
- CRAFTING & DECOR: Decorate and craft with the beautiful jars. Perfect for any occasion or party and as a unique gift such as centerpieces with fresh cut flowers, storage for open cabinets, window display, candles, outdoor lighting. Also ideal for kids’ DIY projects
Table of Contents
- What is the purpose of curing weed?
- Preparing the buds for curing
- Curing methods
- Wrapping it up
What is the purpose of curing weed?
One of the many questions people especially those growing the crop for the first time ask is if curing cannabis is necessary. Some feel that after proper drying, weed is good enough to offer its purposes. Below are the reasons to make you understand why curing is necessary.
Curing increases the weed potency
The main reason for growing cannabis is to get THC, CBD and CBN. The plants produce different levels of the three throughout their growth, which transform with time. As the plant grows, it goes through biosynthesis, which converts tetrahydrcannabinolic acid to THC. Even after you harvest the crops, biosynthesis continues. For this to happen though, you have to handle your plants well and keep them within the right temperature ranges. Drying the buds has a huge effect on how much potency the THC is. Quick drying may reduce the potency and you end up with low quality weed. Curing saves the weed potency. After drying, you should continue keeping your dried buds away from light irrespective of the method you use.
Curing improves the taste, smoothness and flavor f the weed
If you take weed that is not dry or cured properly, it may have a bitter taste. The flavor may also not feel like the natural weed flavor. Weed gets its flavor from terpenes, produced naturally by the plants. Terpenes are very volatile compounds and can degrade very fast or evaporate into ether if they get warm. If you keep your weed in a room with temperatures that are above 700F, they will start to break down. It is therefore very important to keep your harvested buds at between 60 and 70 degrees and cure them slowly. Curing the weed slowly brings out the smells and flavors better as compared to fast curing. This is because slow cutting ensures that bacteria and enzymes from unwanted sugars break down. This also helps to improve the smoothness of the weed preventing the burning feeling in the throat that comes with bad weed.
Curing helps to preserve the weed
If you use good curing techniques, you can keep your weed for as long as you want. This is so especially if you are not growing for commercial purposes but for your own use. It is almost impossible to smoke several buds in a day but if you cure the weed properly, you can keep it for as long as you want and smoke it slowly at your phase without the fear of any degradation-taking place. Curing properly also means that you will not have o worry about things like mold and mildew r he buds losing their cannabinoids. All you need to do is make sure your buds are in a dark and cool location in airtight containers. If you do this, you can use your weed comfortably for the next two years. Just like wine, weed connoisseurs will tell you that weed tastes better with age.
Do not ever store the buds in a freezer or fridge. Doing this will change the trichomes and make them brittle which in turn leads to their easy break offs. Do not place the weed anywhere near anything that emits heat such as electronics and other home appliances. When storing the cured buds, always use glass vacuum-sealed jars with neutral charges.
Preparing the buds for curing
Before you cure the buds, you must make sure that they are dry and trimmed well. You can either wet trim or dry trim the buds. If you choose to go with wet trimming, you must make sure that the buds are free from any excess matter. If you trim off any sugar leaves, do not throw them away as you can use them to make oil and edibles. Wet trimming requires the spreading of the buds on an aerated large surface area. You can use a mesh drying rack for this, as it will give you the best results. Using anything without good aeration such as cardboard or plastic may lead to the development of mold.
Make sure you do not over fill the rack because resin is also a favorite breeding space for bacteria. Dry trimming is the more popular of the two methods and it involves the cutting of branches to a length of 10 to 15 inches. The method is especially good if you have large amounts of buds to trim though it is not favorable for small sugar leaves as they are harder to trim. Trim the buds once you are sure they are completely dry. Whichever method you decide to use, make sure that the process takes place in a dark space with temperatures ranging between 60 and 70 degrees F.
Humidity levels should also be between 45 to 55%. You can use a DEHUMIDIFIER to control he humidity levels and a fan to help with proper circulation of air. Once you test he dryness of the buds and they snap easily while looking crunchy on the outside, then you can be sure that they are ready for curing. The drying period will take anything between 5 to 15 days. Monitoring the buds throughout this period is very important.
Once you are sure that the drying process was a success, you can now cure your buds. Below are some of the most popular curing methods.
This is the easiest weed curing method, as it does not require too much equipment. It is also one of the cheapest and even novices can cure their buds using this method without any fuss. All you need are a few airtight jars. You can use kilner jars or recycled jam jars. The most important thing to note is that they should have tight seals and they should be spotless clean. Sanitize the jars before using them. After you are sure the jars are ready, make the buds and fill each jar to around 2/3rds full. Place the lid back on but do not clamp it down too tightly. Store the jars in a cool dry and dark place.
This is the early curing stage and it is important to give your buds some air in order to add their THC potency. Giving them air also helps to break down the sugars, which give the weed a smooth taste and good flavor. What you do to ensure that the buds get enough air is open the jars at least two times daily for the first week. You should leave the jar open for just a few minutes to let in air and allow it to circulate. While you are at it, also check the buds for any mold and mildew growth. You can do this by taking the buds out of the jar, checking them through before returning them to the jar to continue with the curing process. After two to three weeks, your buds will be ready to smoke or sell.
If you want a better taste and more THC potency, you can extend their curing time for another few weeks or months depending on what you are looking for. Always make sure that you put your buds in a different position from the one they were at when returning them back to the jars. This helps in curing all of the evenly.
Rocking Gear Mason Jar
The double-layered 2.5-ounce Mason jar from rocking gear is one of the best curing jars to use for your buds. Made from high quality durable glass, the jar is odor free and smells proof. It comes with an extra lid and it is double layered to ensure that it keeps the flavors into the jar. The seal is 100% air tight and waterproof. If you want to carry a jar with you if you are travelling, then you are in luck because his mason jar is also light and easily portable. You do not have to worry about the smell of weed leaking out especially if you have people around you that you do not want to know if you have the product near you. It is also very affordable.
The water curing method starts before drying the buds. The method is an excellent way of removing any unwanted substances on the buds. Clean water flushes the impurities, which helps to improve the taste of the weed and add to its smoothness. The only disadvantage of this method is that in most cases it reduces the flavor of the weed. You can also use jars with water to cure your weed. All you do is follow the same procedure as you would if you are using the basic method but instead of filling the jars with air, you fill them up with water. Allow the buds to stay submerged in the water jars for about a week.
Water, unlike air, speeds up the breaking down of residues substance, which in turn helps the buds to digest their sugars faster. The method also helps to improve the THC potency. After about a week, remove the buds from the jar and dry them, as they dry make sure you keep monitoring them for any old growth. Use only distilled water to flush the buds.
Sometimes when you have a high yield you would want to preserve your weed for a longer period. While curing your weed properly and storing them in a cool dark place in airtight jars may preserve your weed for 18 months or more, you can choose another option to store them for even a longer period. To do this, you need to first needed to dry cure the weed using your preferred method. Freezing the buds before you cure them will reduce its potency.
You will also need the help of a freezing machine such as a blast freezer. After you have your blast freezer, place your cured buds on a rack and make sure the temperatures are at subzero. Once the buds are frozen, store them in an airtight jar and freeze them. This method is costly and only people with great expertise can carry it out efficiently. Also note that if you do not have a high yield, you do not have to waste your money on freeze-drying.
Sweat curing is good for people that grow their weed for commercial purposes. It is a popular curing process in South America and the Caribbean. The method is quick and cheap but it does not give the same good results as the other methods. It turns the buds brown and reduces their potency because of the quick curing. The only equipment you need for this method is a paper bag, cotton cloths or paper towels or anything else that can absorb moisture effectively. Put your buds in the paper bag in layers making sure to separate the layers with paper towels or cotton clothes. Place the paper bag out in the sun or next to a warm place and turn the paper bag severally for 5 to 6 days. This is to ensure that no mold forms on the buds. Do not use plastic bags because they will reduce the potency of the weed by affecting the trichomes.
Curing with carbon dioxide
If you want to avoid using light, air and heat to cure your weed you can use the carbon dioxide method. The method uses dry ice, which is from carbon dioxide and gives the same results as freeze-drying. It is also easier than freeze-drying but you have to be careful not to let the dry ice touch your bare skin. What you need for CO2 method is a large container to store your buds with a space big enough for the dry ice. Make sure your do not expose your weed to any heat, light or air, as the method will be futile.
Fill half of the container with dry ice, cover this with a wet cloth and continue to pile your buds on top of the cloth. Make sure to leave some space to allow air to escape from the dry ice. Place your container in a freezer and check on the same 2 to 3 times within the next 48 hours to add more dry ice. The method may lead to the loss of some trichomes but you will still get potent buds.
Other curing methods
Some people want to cure their weed as fast as they can and will use other methods to do so. Some of the most popular methods for quick curing are the use of microwaves, food dehydrators and ovens. As fast as these methods are, they are not the best to use for curing your weed. The sped up the process but they drain the buds of their potency. You may also get a poor flavor and a bitter taste because of the fast drying. If you however have to use the methods because you do not have a choice, then do it properly.
If you are using the microwave, layer the buds between cotton cloths and dry them using the defrost setting. If you are using the oven, set it at the lowest heat and keep the door slightly ajar. If you decide to use food dehydrators, use them the same way making sure the heat is low. Again remember that these methods are not good for curing your weed and if you have to try them out, use a very small portion of the buds. If you do not like the result, then change to any of the other curing methods.
Wrapping it up
If you want weed with the best potency, smoothness, taste, flavor and smell, then you cannot ignore the curing process. It is very vital for your final product and after having put your crop through all the other stages; you do not want to let the effort go to waste by not curing the buds properly. If done right, under all the right conditions and with your best preferred method, you can have something to look at and feel proud about. In my opinion, the best curing method is the most basic one, which is the use of airtight jars. It cures the weed slowly and effectively and it is cost effective. Some of the other methods are not bad either and you can try any of them. Whichever method you decide to go with, just make sure that your buds get the best cure they need and make sure that you store them correctly so as not to compromise on their quality.
We hope this article was of help to you and you will not have any problems when you get to this stage. If you have any comments or questions, kindly reach out to us and we will get back in touch. We will also appreciate if you share this article with others so that they too can get the help they need in curing their marijuana.
Read How to Grow Cannabis Series:
Top 5 Best Grow Box Kit On Amazon:
- 24''x24''x48'' Hydroponics 600D Mylar Grow Tent Room w/Waterproof Floor Tray + Full Spectrurm LED300W Grow Light + 4'' Inline Fan Filter Ducting Combo + Grow Light Hangers + Digital Hygrometer + 60mm Bonsai Shears + 24 Hour Timer + Trellis Netting Indoor Grow Tent Complete Kit
- 96% highly reflective waterproof diamond mylar (enhance the reflective effect):600D high-reflective Diamond Mylar, Large heavy duty Zippers & Double Stitching for protection against light leaks. Easy entry and access
- Digital Hygrometer:High stability & accuracy.Display temperature, humidity and time sim,ultaneously; Rope Hanger:Up to 75-pound weight load capacity per ratchet; a pair can handle 150-pounds
- LED: Featuring a user friendly "Full Spectrum" design, you can easily grow your plants in any growth cycle required like germination, seedling, veg, flower
- Fast Shipping & Discreet Package
- Complete Kit Included: 48x48x80-Inch grow tent, 6 Inch 440 CFM Inline Fan, carbon filter, 8 feet of ducting, 2 stainless clamps, VS1000 LED grow light, grow room glasses, rope hangers, 3x3-ft. elastic trellis netting, 5pcs 5 gallon grow bags, temperature humidity monitor, pruning shear, and digital timer
- Promote Plant Growth: VIVOSUN grow tent is equipped with a lined zipper double stitched to avoid light leaks; is made up of 100% reflective Mylar, ensuring the plants absorb the nutrients through the internal lights
- Lower Costs & High Efficiency Light: VS1000 LED grow lights use the latest LED plant light technology, including Samsung LM301 Diodes, high-energy efficiency with 2.75 μmol/J; Extremely high output but consumes only 100W of electricity, making it more efficient than traditional HID lamps and other plant lamps on the market
- Strong Support for Plants: Elastic trellis netting provides a sturdy support structure; The grow bags provide excellent air circulation and drainage; The design of pruning snips is perfect to use whether you are right- or left-handed with ease; The digital timer, thermometer, and hygrometer make it extremely easy to control the environment in your grow room
- Advanced Grow Made Easy: The tent is supported by strong metal poles that are specially finished for smooth installation; Don’t waste time buying and returning parts that may or may not be compatible or safe to use together! This VIVOSUN complete system includes every part you need to get set up for advanced grow
- Complete Kit Included: 24 x 24 x 48-Inch grow tent, 4-Inch 190 CFM inline fan, carbon filter, 8 feet of ducting, 2x stainless clamps, VS1000 LED grow light, grow room glasses, rope hangers, 3 x 3-ft. elastic trellis netting, 5-pcs. 5-gallon grow bags, temperature humidity monitor, pruning shears, and digital timer
- Effective Ventilation: Powerful blower with a fan speed of 2300 RPM for an air flow of 190 CFM; Moves air through your target location efficiently for optimal ventilation; 1050+ RC 48 Australian Virgin Charcoal Bed; The air aluminum ducting featured with the flexible length for exhaust fan blower or inline fan
- Lower Costs & High Efficiency Light: VS1000 LED grow lights use the latest LED plant light technology, including Samsung LM301 diodes, high-energy efficiency with 2.75 μmol/J; Extremely high output but consumes only 100W of electricity, making it more efficient than traditional HID lamps and other plant lamps on the market
- Strong Supports for Plants: Elastic trellis netting provides a sturdy support structure; The grow bags provide excellent air circulation and drainage; The design of pruning snips is perfect and easy to use whether you are right- or left-handed; The digital timer, thermometer, and hygrometer make it easy to control the climate in your grow room
- Advanced Grow Made Easy: The tent is supported by strong metal poles that are specially finished for smooth installation; Don’t waste time buying and returning parts that may or may not be compatible or safe to use together; This VIVOSUN complete system includes every part you need to get set up for advanced grow
- 100% ORGANIC AND NON-GMO: There's no need to worry about intoxicants that may hinder your plant's growth because the Back to the Roots Mushroom Growing Kit is completely organic and not genetically modified; You can cook them however you want or add them to your favorite dishes
- GROW YOUR PLANT ALL YEAR-ROUND: This organic mushroom indoor kit allows you to grow your own crop all-year round; Just place the box near a window with indirect light, mist twice a day, and you'll see delicious, beautiful mushrooms growing within a week; Included in this kit is an organic plant-based soil infused with mushroom spawn and a booklet with instructions
- CONVENIENT AND EASY: Mushrooms are one of the easiest to grow indoors; All you need to do is open, spray daily with the included mister, and in 10 days you'll be harvesting your own mushrooms right out of the box; Each crop produces three to four servings of mushrooms, and each box can grow up two crops
- THE PERFECT GIFT: The perfect holiday gift, it comes in a beautiful packaging so that it's ready to be given to foodie, garden-loving and eco-conscious friends and family; This kit is also part of our Grow One Give One campaign, simpy share a picture on social media, tag us and use the campaign hashtag, and we'll donate a kit to a classroom of your choice
- GUARANTEED TO GROW: Made in the USA and 100% Guaranteed to grow. If you are not satisfied, simply message us and we will send you a Back To The Roots replacement
- TOP NOTCH QUALITY LED GROW LIGHT: Use Samsung LM301B diodes and MEAN WELL driver; full spectrum light ideal for all stages of growth; adjustable light intensity with dimmer switch; protective coating on LEDs helps extend the lifespan; no fan, zero noise. Only consumes 100w, running 50% less power than other Blurple lamps or HPS. This light delivers a powerful light output and uniform canopy penetration resulting in maximum yields.
- DURABLE & STURDY GROW TENT: 100% Reflective Mylar interior maximizes the efforts of grow lights; heavy-duty 1680D Oxford cloth exterior adds durability; reliable SBS zipper shut and open smoothly; double stitching for strength and light protection; well-constructed with strong and sturdy steel frame; plenty of openings for fans/ vents/ electrical cords; removable viewing mesh screen for viewing & removing humidity; bottom tray prevent water leakage on the floor and keep tent stay clean.
- POWERFUL VENTILATION SYSTEM: Quiet and powerful 4” Inline fan and RC412 Australian carbon filter and flex aluminum ducting combo; very easy to install and use; gives strong airflow and proper air circulation.
- MONEY & ENERGY SAVING COMPLETE GROW TENT KIT: Compare the cost of individual items and the cost of our complete grow tent package, our kit saves $$ and a lot of time vs buying each item separately. Designed to be user-friendly; comes with easy-to-follow installation instructions; is easy to assemble and is very simple to operate, even for beginner growers. All parts are compatible and properly matched; everything comes in 1 box with discreet packaging.
- VALUE FOR THE MONEY: Getting a high-quality grow tent kit means that you’ll get more value for a longer period of time. All parts are backed up by local maintenance centers in the USA. As a manufacturer specializing in the production of Led grow lights for more than 10 years, Spider Farmer has been insisting on creating more efficient, more suitable and better quality home grow equipment, being a trusted partner for every grower!