The main reason why cannabis growers put too much effort when cultivating the crop is to derive high-potency levels. A first-time grower may not know much about the difference between high-level potency and low-level potency. However, since having strong weed is the most relevant reason for cannabis cultivation, you should always provide the crops with everything they need.
You should also check how high the potency levels could be, whether you are a first-time grower or a skilled one. Likewise, it would be best to take notes and good care of your cannabis plants to harvest the highest quality yields.
If your goal in cultivating weed is to maximize THC levels for the psychoactive effects, consider using all the right ingredients that provide you with maximum resins with high potent trichomes. Besides learning how to maximize THC levels in your yields, you should also determine what you should do if you get a yield with low potency THC.
In the case you do not get high potent weed as expected after harvesting, drying, and curing your weed, you do not need to fret because there are different factors to consider on “How to Make Your Weed Stronger.”
Table of Contents
- Factors That Influence Weed Potency
- How to Increase Weed Strength after Harvesting, Drying, and Curing
- Wrapping it up
Factors That Influence Weed Potency
Several factors help in determining the potency of your cannabis. Some of the issues that lower cannabis potency happen during the growing cycle. You probably did something knowingly or unknowingly, which made a huge impact on the potency, which you can avoid during the next cycle to improve the potency.
The growing cycle can make or break the strength of your weed. The following are the factors you should consider if you want highly potent weed with a high that lasts longer.
The largest contributor to weed potency is the cannabis strain you choose to grow. Some people believe that growing a strong strain results in highly potent weed. On the contrary, you can grow strong weed strain and still harvest low potent weed. The answer to strong weed is starting the cannabis grow cycle with strains that come with good genetics and good health.
You also have to bear in mind that there are thousands of strains, and many of them are good with unique effects. Fortunately, many professional weed breeders sell specific and stabilized strains that produce high potency weed for many growers. You can also check trusted stores both online and in your locality for high quality and healthy strains.
If you are a new cannabis grower, do not rush into buying strains from anyone just because they say they have the best products. Ask for advice, read reviews on reputable online seed banks, and use the best growing methods. Another factor to consider when looking for the best strain is that many of the cannabis plants offer a maximum of 15% THC content even with the best.
With healthy and good genetics strains and proper growth, you can get 15% or slightly lower than that. Still, it is impossible to surpass that THC potency level, making it important to check all the features of the strain you are using before deciding.
Cannabis plants, just like any other crop, use light for energy, food, and proper development. If you do not provide enough light to the plants throughout their entire growth cycle, they will not grow well. The most critical stage where cannabis needs enough light for maximum bud growth is the flowering stage.
If the buds do not bloom well, they will appear much smaller, and with less potency. Therefore the more light you provide the crops, especially during the flowering phase, the higher and stronger the potency. Some cannabis growers combine best LED grow lights and HPS grow lights for better lighting effects and bigger, less airy buds with more potency.
When using the light systems, you should be careful not to cause light stress that leads to bleached buds with low potency. Ensure that you maintain the required distances between lights and the top of the plants for maximum high yielding and strong weed.
- Manual Dimmable: Easy-to-use dimmer control. Using the dimmer knob, you can easily control the brightness of the grow light from 20% to 100% to suit different growth periods.
- sunlike full spectrum:led grow Light is suitable for indoor cultivation of all plant growth stages: infrared 760nm/660nm red light/white light 3000knm/blue light 5000knm,the GP-6000 needed to supplement light for all types of plants in the event of insufficient light for indoor cultivation.
- 756 pcs led: groplanner 150w grow light has 756pcs leads with a life span of 60000h and an energy efficiency of 2.75μmol/j.which is 50% less than other smd leds or violet lights or 50% less power consumption for hps.
- quick lock and daisy chain:GP1500 has its own patented quick lock and daisy chain.,Assemble your own exclusive plant light according to the planting area at will.【Area: 3x3-150w grow light x1】【Area: 3x5-150w grow light x2】【Area: 6x6-150w grow light x4】in a home network environment, we recommend a maximum of 12~20 connections for control.
- quality for the top: groplanner grow light 150W adopts a silent heat dissipation solution, 2mm thick heat sink + 4mm back pure aluminum back plate can dissipate the heat upwards quickly. to protect the led beads, the fully covered lens cover and sealing rubber ring give the GP1500 an ip65 waterproof rating, and the indoor grow light can be used normally in environments with a humidity of 10%~90%rh.
- 6000K White Light - equipped with 10 Red + 74 White LEDs, this growing Lamp is similar to the full-spectrum sunlight at noon,that is professionally designed for indoor garden plants.Moreover, its color rendering index is as high as 95, the light is soft and flicker-free, which is very suitable for reading lamp
- Timer Function & Multiple Settings - this growing light offer the circular memory timer function with 3 options-4h/8h/12h. When keeping power, it can automatically turn on and off every day according your settings, no more manual operation for you.
- Easy to Install - with flexible Gooseneck & strong clamp,it allows you to place the growth light in any direction to provide the best lighting angle for your plants，meet the cover around the plant.Powered by USB or AC Power Plug
- High Efficiency LED Lamp - as for LED power draw this seedling lights just comsume about 10watt and is equavalent to a 50W Halogen Bulb.Estimately monthly cost roughly $2 in electricity (12 hours a day). It is a great gift if you growing some small house plants.
- 【365 Days Worry-free Warranty】GooingTop service team offer 365 days warranty and 24h friendly customer service. If there are ever any issues about the product, please feel free to contact us and we will send you a new replacement or full refund.
- 【5 Heads Plant Grow Lights & 150 LEDs】This plant growing lamp consists of 150 efficient grow LEDs (100 red and 50 blue). 5 head plant grow light provide a wider lighting range than traditional 2, 3, and 4 head plant light and increase the intensity of light by up to 50%, allowing your plants to receive more energy.
- 【3 Spectral Modes & 10 Brightness Levels】Full spectrum led grow light has 3 spectrum modes(Red, Blue & Mixed Spectrum). 10 brightness settings ranging from 10% to 100%, we can be switched at will, free to choose the most suitable brightness and spectrum for our plant growth. Makes plants grow 5 times faster than natural plants.
- 【Auto Cycle On/Off & Timer Function】Designed with auto circular memory timing function and there are 3/9/12H timer setting options for your choosing. Plant grow light will turn on/off by itself every day as your setting. Even you're on the travel, these grow light strips will still take good care of your plants every day!
- 【Strong Clip & Flexible Gooseneck】This 5 head grow lights have a strong clip and bracket support that can be stably placed and arbitrarily clamped anywhere. The indoor grow lights have a 360° independently adjustable gooseneck design, which can be rotated to any angle for your requirements, which provides a wider and more flexible range of light.
- 【Designed for Plants Growth 】This indoor grow lights are perfect for seed starting can meet the different needs of plants for sunlight in different growth stages. The excellent heat dissipation performance ensures the lamps are more durable and the service life is up to 80,000 hours. Widely apply to greenhouses, herb garden, indoor garden, flower bed, succulent seeds, bonsai tree, especially plants, seeds & herb.
- Full Spectrum Red Blue Grow Light Strips: this grow light emits all the wavelengths from 380nm to 800nm, just like natural sunlight, more effective to promote indoor growth as it accelerates photosynthesis, increase growth rate, suitable for all growth stages of indoor plants.
- Auto On/ Off & Timing Function: this led grow light strip features with circular memory timer function. It has 3 timing mods, 3H, 6H and 12H, you can choose according to your plants needs. After you set up the hours, keep power on, the light will automatically turn on at the same time the next day, thus you needn’t worry forgetting to turn on the light.
- 5 Adjustable Brightness Levels & 4 Lighting Modes: has 5 adjustable brightness levels: 10%, 30%, 50%, 70% and 100%, can meet each plant’s lighting requirements at different stages. In addition, this plant light has 4 lighting modes, you can choose 1/2/3/4 light strips on or off to control light intensity, comes with 192 LEDs, compared with other light strips, our plant lights are brighter and last longer for more than 50000 hours.
- Easy to install: comes with 16pcs screws, 16pcs zip tips and 4pcs double-sided tape for installation. Compact design fits for various fixtures and surfaces, can stick right onto the shelves perfectly. The power cord is 78inches long which is enough for using in office, indoor, plant, shelf, greenhouse etc.
- Wide Applications: our grow light strips are made of epoxy and aluminum material, which is proof water with high quality, increase light and reduce heat. You don’t worry about destroying the light when watering plants, very perfect product for potted landscape and indoor garden plants, such as Succulents, Flower, seedlings, Basil, Rosemary, Daffodils, Plumeria, Aloe, Orchids, Thyme, Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Peppers etc.
- 5 Head 150 LEDs Plant Light for Indoor Plants: This plant growing lamp consists of 150 effective growing LEDs, divided into 120 white LEDs and 30 red LEDs. The 5 heads grow light for indoor plants supplies a broader lighting range than the traditional 2, 3, and 4 heads indoor plants lights, and increases the intensity of the light by up to 50%, allowing your plants to receive better and extra light energy.
- 3 Spectrum Modes & 10 Brightness Levels: The full spectrum led grow light has 3 spectrum modes, which are Red, Full, and Mixed Spectrum. It has ten brightness settings, starting from 10% to 100%, that can be switched as per your requirements, so you are able to choose the more proper spectrum and brightness for your plant to grow in the best way. The indoor plant lights make your plants develop a rapid response to grow, five times faster than plants with natural light only.
- Auto Timer Function & On/Off Cycle: Designed with a function for autocycle memory timing, there are different three timer settings for you to choose from, between 3H, 9H, and 12H of lighting time. Following your setting, the plant grow light will switch on/off automatically every day. Even when you are away from home, these grow light lamps will take good care of your plants every day.
- Flexible Gooseneck Neck & Strong Clip: You can place and clamp the 5 head grow light anywhere as it has a strong clip and bracket support for it to be stable. The indoor grow lights have a 360 rotation design that can be independently adjustable, so each can be rotated to any angle to adapt to your requirements, which supplies a wider and more flexible range of light, and different growing directions.
- Designed for Indoor Plants to Growth: These plant lights for indoor growing is perfect for the different sunlight needs of your plants depending on their growing stage, from seeds to every growing phase. The lamps have an excellent performance of fast heat dissipation, which ensures that these lamps provide you with a long-lasting and durable service life of up to 80,000 hours.
3. Nutrients and fertilizers
Some cannabis plant growers, especially new ones, assume that feeding their young plants with too many nutrients and fertilizers help grow weed with more potency. On the contrary, too many nutrients and fertilizers affect the crops negatively. The best way to start growing your cannabis is by starting with no nutrients until the crops are about a month old.
Adding fertilizers to the soil affects the pH levels, so it is crucial to maintain regular tests to ensure that the pH levels are at the required levels. If the pH levels are not right, nutrient absorption will be poor, leading to weak buds with low potency. Before harvesting, you should reduce nutrient and fertilizer intake to allow the buds to attain the weed’s natural scents and taste.
Too many nutrients and fertilizers during the last days of the flowering stage dilute the weed’s real taste, scent, and potency. The essential nutrients that you should ensure your cannabis gets, especially during the flowering phase, are nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium. Other important nutrients are-
- 500 ml bundle set
- Lush, sturdy growth from 3-part nutrients designed specifically for high value
- 3 part solution: You get advanced nutrients bloom, micro and grow
- State-of-the-art carrier molecules to ensure their plants get the maximum amount of nutrients
- You will never have to worry about your pH again
- Get your garden going with FoxFarm Grow Big, our liquid concentrate fertilizer that supports lush vegetative growth.
- FoxFarm Big Bloom Liquid Plant Food is formulated for use on all plants and can be used every time you water. OMRI Listed and Registered CDFA Organic Input Material.
- FoxFarm Tiger Bloom is a phosphorus fertilizer that contains nitrogen to support vigorous growth. FoxFarm Tiger Bloom is designed to encourage abundant fruit, flower and multiple bud development.
- FoxFarm Big Bloom, FoxFarm Grow Big, and FoxFarm Tiger Bloom, together at last. Designed to work together to support vigorous growth, multiple bud development and abundant fruit.
- Twin Canaries Conversion Chart included with every order.
- Larger, heavier, denser flowers
- Flowers with more essential oils, aromatics, terpenoids, phenols and other potency factors
- Measurable, significant increases in overall harvest weight and market value
- No assembly required
- A 3-pack of favorite liquid fertilizers from FoxFarm Get the right juice for the right use
- Start with Grow Big for abundant green growth
- Switch to Tiger Bloom at the first sign of bud set or flowering
- Use Big Bloom throughout all growing cycles to heal root systems and increase nutrient cycling
- Big Bloom plant food concentrate is ideal for all flowering and fruiting plants
- This starter pack is intended to get you off the ground with your garden. It contains four of our tried-and-true fertilizer products that successful growers, on all scales, have come to depend on.
- Made from the highest quality ingredients, specifically formulated to save you time and money. For use in soil, coco and all hydroponic mediums.
- It’s essential to provide the right nutrients at the right stages of growth. Growth Science will walk you through those steps with this, cost-effective starter pack.
- Each pack contains 5 bottles. 1 pint of Base A, 2 pints of Base B, 1 pint of Solid start, and 1 pint of rock solid
- Base A and B form the foundation of the Growth Science system. Together they provide your plants with essential macro and micro nutrients essential for growth.
Some cannabis growers harvest their crops too early, maybe because they are excited to reap their hard labor benefits too fast. Unfortunately, with cannabis plants, everyday matters, and harvesting earlier than usual will give you buds without their full development and potency levels. It would be best if you allowed your cannabis plants to mature.
Buds harvested early also come with other problems that include racing thoughts and headaches. It would help if you harvested the Sativa strains when they are about 10 weeks after flowering, while the Indica are best when they are 8 weeks after flowering. Some of the telltale signs that it is time to harvest your weed are a strong smell, sticky flowers, and yellowing of leaves.
Read next: When and How to Harvest Marijuana
Excitement can also make some cannabis growers dry their weed too quickly for the same reasons they want to harvest earlier than the maturity date. If you want your buds to attain high potency, slow dry them for two to three days. In some cases, drying should go for even up to 10 days.
Drying should also take place immediately after harvesting. Before drying your buds, you should make sure you know all the proper drying methods to eliminate the possibility of ending up with bad buds with mold and low potency.
After you are sure your buds are dry after the slow drying processing, they are now ready for the next step, curing. During the curing process, buds process their taste and smell naturally. Curing involves putting the buds in airtight mason jars and burping them daily for the next two weeks.
The burping provides the buds with fresh bursts of air, which plays an important part in the process and increases potency. Curing also helps the buds regain their cannabis smell lost during the drying process and reduce the harsh and green taste. For the best result, cure the buds for at least two weeks.
7. Exposure to pollen
Exposure of the buds to pollen from a hermie plant or male cannabis leads to the buds’ development of seeds. If the seeds are few, they will not have a huge effect on the bud potency.
However, if the buds contain many seeds or are very seedy, it means that the pollination was heavy, which leads to weak buds because the plants put more effort into producing seeds than it did in making trichomes.
8. The incorrect ratio of THC to CBD
Cannabis contains compounds that produce hundreds and individually change the effects of the buds. The most common are terpenes and cannabinoids. Different cannabis strains have varying effects depending on the type of compounds they carry.
If you have a cannabis strain with high CBD levels, it will not allow the buds to have any psychedelic effects irrespective of the THC levels on the bud. If you want weed with potent mental effects, you should choose strains with low CBD levels. If you are looking for strains with medicinal values, choose buds with high CBD levels.
9. Using the same strain repeatedly
Getting used to using the same strain, especially from the same harvest, could sometimes put you in a comfort zone. It could also lead to a feeling of low potency from the strain over time because the effects are one with your system.
If you want to maximize your weed potency and strength, you should change your strains regularly. However, if you do not want to feel messed up from using a stronger strain, you can continue using what your system adheres to with ease.
How to Increase Weed Strength after Harvesting, Drying, and Curing
If your weed is weak, do not panic because you can do several things to make it stronger. However, you have to note that the methods do not come with a complete guarantee that they will work to your satisfaction. If the buds are fresh, you have a better chance of strengthening the potency of your weed.
1. Turn your buds into hash.
One of the best solutions for increasing your weed strength is by turning some of the buds into hash, especially if you have a large harvest of buds with less potent buds. It would help if you worked on a large harvest to separate the buds for hash and other uses. The best way to get hash out of the buds is by using the dry ice method because it has less wastage than other methods.
The dry ice method involves placing buds in a bag containing dry ice that freezes the buds’ trichomes. Shake the bag to allow all the hash and trichomes to settle at the bottom of the bag. Mix or sprinkle the hash over the remaining buds to increase their potency.
Read next: How To Make Bubble Hash
2. Smoke or vape ground whole buds
Grinding buds makes a huge difference from breaking the same with your fingers, especially if you using whole nugs. Grinding comes in handy if you are smoking or vaping the buds. Smoking or vaping strengthens weed potency, but only if you use ground buds.
The difference between ground buds and broken buds is 10% potency, with the high going to the latter. Another advantage of vaporizing is that you can use the vaped buds to make other hard-hitting potent weed, such as edibles. Edibles have a metabolization that makes the high stronger and longer lasting.
3. Eat a mango
As strange as this seems, eating a mango really does help strengthen your weed potency. The mango is one of the essential miracle fruits loaded with antioxidants. They help in fighting several diseases, and they contain enzymes that help with the digestive system and smooth the skin.
If you want to strengthen the potency of your weed, you should accompany it with mango. When you eat a mango an hour before or after smoking weed, the terpenes trigger the THC in the buds, providing you with a better high.
4. Drink some tea
Another way of increasing your weed strength is by drinking black or green tea before using weed. Tea contains flavonoids, antioxidants that help the body to relax. The antioxidants also reduce inflammations and provide a way for weed to produce stronger and longer-lasting effects.
5. Boost the circulation by exercising
Exercising is another way of increasing the strength of your weed. Vigorous exercises before or after smoking weed boost your circulation, which in turn allows cannabis to work more effectively.
6. Take a much-needed break.
Taking a break from using weed cleans up the system for a while, which also levels your tolerance. When you start using weed again after the break, weed will feel stronger. You can restart with a different strain from the one you were using before the break for a better high.
7. Use weed in moderation
One of the best ways to increase the strength of your weed is by using it in moderation. If you are a chronic and heavy user, the effects, flavor, and aroma become dull with time. Some people prefer to drink beer using a toke for relaxation and reduction of anxiety.
Moderating by drinking beer or something else with the same relaxation effects paves the way for THC to take effect. You have to remember, though, that beer is an inebriant.
8. Keep a journal
Keeping a journal of all your cannabis experiences helps you to analyze what each strain made you feel. In the journal, record the method used to consume your weed, the strain, time of day you used, and the social situation under which you used your weed.
Describe the duration, high, and effect. Keeping a journal will allow you to change into another strain different from your regular high that may lead to a better feeling. It will also help you to change the methods you use when taking your weed.
Wrapping it up
If you want to get more strength and potency from your weed, you should follow the above techniques. The majority of the techniques are the usual traditional methods of growing healthy cannabis plants. Maintain a healthy practice that includes proper lighting, watering, and keeping proper temperature and humidity levels are important for big buds’ growth with high potency.
After the flowering phase, you should also harvest weed at the right time, dry, and cure to release cannabis scent, potency, and aroma. Vigilance throughout the process guarantees you high yields with stronger potency. If you still want to make your weed strong after the growth process, you can still do so using several methods that include turning buds into hash, exercising, taking tea, eating a mango, and taking a break.