Light burn or light stress is a common issue when using grow lights to grow your cannabis. Even with the fear of light burn, you cannot grow the crops without light because they use light for food, energy, and development.
However, if you go overboard with the lighting systems, your crops will suffer the consequences of light burn or light stress. The problem mostly occurs when the light proximity to the plants is short or not large enough. How do you detect cannabis light burn, and how do you treat it? Read on to find out.
Table of Contents
What Is Cannabis Light Burn?
Light burn or light bleaching occurs when the plant canopies get too close to the grow lights. The leaves take a bleached or white look instead of the usual green color. Light burn mostly occurs to plants growing indoors than they do to those growing outdoors. The sun is too far away from outdoor cannabis plants to cause light.
Cannabis is also a resilient plant that has, in the years, learned to adjust to the natural sunlight, preventing light stress. When you hang grow lights too close to the plants indoors, the plants become overwhelmed and lack the strength to fight the power from the lights.
Too much light destroys the buds, making the resin containing cannabinoids useless for recreational and medicinal purposes. Everything about the buds, including taste and fragrance, also deteriorates due to light stress.
Read also: The Common Causes of the Yellowing of Marijuana Leaves
Cannabis Light Burn Symptoms
One of the most noticeable signs of light burn on cannabis plants is the yellowing of the leaves. Some people confuse light burn with nitrogen toxicity because they display the same kind of symptoms.
However, plats suffering from nitrogen deficiency have their leaves start the yellowing process from the bottom to the top, while the opposite happens for leaves exposed to too much light. Nitrogen deficiency also leads to leaves falling off the plant with little effort.
On the other hand, light burn leaves are hard to pluck off the plant and feel crispy to the touch. Besides the crispiness and the yellowing, leaves also turn brown, which indicates too much light and heat exposure.
How To Prevent Light Burn On Cannabis Plants
Preventing light burns on cannabis plants is much easier than curing the problem. The main causes of light burn are the short distance between the plants and the lighting system and the grow light intensity. The light density also depends on the grow light you use in the grow room.
If you are using CFLs and T5s that are 10 inches away from the plant canopy, you should not expect any light stress because they do not emit lots of heat. However, if you position LED grow lights or HID lights 10 inches away from the plant canopy, you can expect light burn to affect the plants.
If you cannot move the lights much higher away from your cannabis plants, the only other option would be to increase the distance by bending the plants. Another option is to cut the crop tops to reduce their growth, which you can only do when the cannabis plants are still in their vegetative stage.
One of the reasons why many cannabis growers prefer to use LED grow lights is that many of them come with control options that allow you to dim the lights to prevent overheating. The lights also come with options that turn the lights on at intervals. Even when using LED grow lights, you should determine the wattage you need for the plants.
If you choose to use a 50-watt LED grow light, the light intensity will not harm your plants much. However, using a 1000-watt LED grow light may lead to harmful consequences if the light is too near to the plant canopies. When using HID lights, you need to be extra careful because they are still too powerful even when they come with low wattage.
Besides the light intensity, HID lights also emit too much heat that plants cannot bear. Even with this knowledge, you still need to hang your grow lights at distances to provide enough light for the crops to make energy and get enough food for proper development.
The following LED grow light grow chart may help in determining the correct balance between light and plant.
Some of best 1000w led grow lights you can buy:
- NEW UPGRADES: Compare with the traditional 1000 watt grow lamps, this new Dual-Chips 10w led lights is bigger, brighter and efficient.
- FULL SPECTRUM LIGHT For INDOOR PLANTS: Our LED grow lights provides full spectrum lighting from 380 nm to 780 nm (including UV + IR) of natural light for plants needed of all growing stages from vegetables to flowers. Achieve greater yield while saving you on energy costs!
- VEG/BLOOM DOUBLE SWITCH -- This special switch design was made to provide proper light for plants in different growth stages , and gives your plants more better living environment.Perfectly help you to care plants and save you more time.
- DURABLE LED GROW LIGHT:Multiple high-speed mute fans and upgraded aluminum radiators enable the light bulb to work at 50°F to 60°F that is lower than other lamps. In a lower temperatures, your plant won’t be burned which could increase your lighting time and promote plant growth, Super long use time, so that you do not have to change the light frequently.
- WORRY-FREE WARRANTY: Plug and Play. No installation required. Product quality and friendly customer service are always our top priority. We offer worry-free 36-month warranty and professional guidance to help you and your plants grow better.
- Detachable Lights Bar Design--The 8 removable and replaceable bars make it super easy to install and transport. Just hang up and snap in the bars. Also it’s easy to maintain.
- High PPFD,High Power--It delivers powerful 2700μmol/s PPF output in the 1000 watt actual power draw and high-efficacy 2.7 μmol/J that helps you effectively optimize indoor plant growth, enhances the quality and cuts operational costs. It has been one of our most productivity-enhancing LED grow lights.
- Full Spectrum Grow Light-- The V1 full spectrum led grow light from 400nm to 700nm mimics the sun spectrum, promotes photosynthesis and optimizes the whole stages of indoor growing plant from seed to flowering, to maximize the yields and ensure crop quality. Great growth and coverage in the entire grow room.
- Dimmable & Daisy Chain--Ez-8 indoor grow light also support Daisy Chain and 0-10V dimming. The on board dimming knob is dimmable from 100% to 40% so you may easily adjust the light intensity of the light for the veg and flowering phases. The daisy-chain function allows you to connect up to 50 grow lights through the RJ11 port.
- Absolutely Large Coverage 5x5ft/6x6ft-- Our Ez-8 led grow lights for plants are perfect for 6x6ft vegetative coverage and 5x5ft flowering coverage. It can magnificently improve the light coverage and your planting efficiency. Ez-8 Grow light can be widely applied in the commercial growing, climate rooms, house garden, home grows (grow tent and box), greenhouse cultivation, pipeline cultivation, hydroponics,?Single or multi-tier racking.
- HIGH-EFFICIENCY LED GROW LIGHT-SAMPHON 8 bars LED grow light with 2816pcs Diodes,high energy efficient drivers with a photon efficiency of 2.8 umol/J,the actual power is 1000W, which provides sufficient light source for plant growth.It’s ideal for a 6 x 6ft vegetative area or a 5 x 5ft flowering area.
- FULL SPECTRUM LIGHT FOR ALL GROWTH PHASES-Infinitely close to natural light, provides plants in all stages from veg to flower with everything they need in the natural sunlight.LED plant lights enable cultivators to produce density buds, 8-bar configuration allows widely application in the home grows (grow box and grow tents), climate rooms,commercial growing (horizontal and vertical), greenhouse cultivation, vertical racks, hydroponics.
- DIMMABLE DAISY CHAIN-The dimming knob is dimmable from 100% to 40% so you may easily adjust the light intensity of the light for the veg and flowering phases.It has a daisy chain function which allows you to connect up to 50 lights.You only need to operate one controller（not included） to dimming multiple lights simultaneously, this is a great convenience for large commercial growers.
- GREAT HEAT DISSIPATION&SILENT FANLESS DESIGN-8 bars light design and aluminium material on the back contribute to better airflow and great heat dissipation while ensuring long lifespan of the light.Silent fanless design. No fans zero noise.
- WORRY-FREE WARRANTY: Samphon's goal has always been For plant's healthy growing.Every grow light has been strict tested before shipped out.3-Years quality assurance is provided.Provide a hassle-free growing life for your plants.Any questions just feel free to contact with us.
- 🌱【3-5 Days Delivery】Ship from the USA. The transportation time is only 3-5 days. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. We will give you a satisfactory solution within 24 hours. Please buy with confidence.
- 🌱【Lower running costs & higher-quality within fewer time】The led grow light can replace traditional 1000 watt HPS/MH while consuming only 110 watts. It saves up to 50% more energy than other led grow lights and still was 30-50% more harvest. Perfect for a 4x4ft grow area Achieved the balance between efficient utilization and energy-saving. Effectively reduce light loss and ensure the utilization of light up to 98%. can save a lot of money for you
- 🌱【High efficiency full spectrum indoor grow】Different from other full spectrum grow lights, we added more RED lights to ensure the yield will be increased up to 30%-50%.With it, you can grow delicate tropicals that will bloom year-round, as well as let you harvest easy-to-grow vegetables and herbs on the coldest winter day
- 🌱【Efficient cooling system】The grow light for indoor plants is designed with an optical grade fireproof PC cover and aluminum back cover, provides a first-class lighting effect, and is not easy to be damaged. It also has an excellent heat dissipation structure, six sides can dissipate heat by convection, 60% heat dissipation rate, and no noise. Put it anywhere without worrying about being disturbed by noise.
- 🌱【Easy to Install】 Our grow lights come with 1 power cord, 2 steel ropes, and 1 adjustable rope, and the installation is very simple and convenient. Plants need different intensities of light at different stages, and adjustable ropes can meet the needs of your plants at all stages
- High Intensity 1000W LED Grow Light: Featuring US-based high-quality BridgeLux diodes and a special diode layout that allows a more even distribution, the FC-E1000W promises an efficiency of up to 2.8 µmol/j,Max 3.0g yield/wat , over 1,000 μmol/m²/s PPFD in its transformed form and up to 2,000 μmol/m²/s PPFD in its general form. This Scalable LED growing lamps for specialized and professional indoor growing, promoting more productive cultivation for a variety of plants.
- Scalable Flexibility & Customization: The FC-E1000W is a huge upgrade from other FC-E Serise because of its scalable flexibility, which allows for customization and configuration. Generally, 10 light bars are arranged on 2 support bars to provide superior high energy to a 4x4 ft area. Besides, there're 2 extended bars(1.8' long) that are able to connect to support bars to stretch the lighting coverage to 4x6 ft while still providing exceptional PPFD.
- Versatile Commercial Grow Lights: the FC-E1000W is capable of various cultivations from small-to-large vertical farms and grow rooms. it's a potent 4x4 flowering growing light with PPFD of 1,500~1,900 μmol/m²/s, ideal for high concentration CO2 cultivation(not recommended to grow tent cultivation!). When transformed to 4x6FT, it provides PPFD of 1,000~1,300 μmol/m²/s, dedicated for 4x6 indoor grow tents or for commercial grow racks of 4ft-wide or 6ft-wide, ideal for the 4x6 ft rolling benches
- Easy Dimming Daisy Chain Indoor Grow Light: The FC-E1000W features a broad spectrum that is rich in the PAR range for full-cycle plant growth, a dimming box to make it easy to adjust the lighting level and match the Daily Light Integral and a daisy-chain function to help manage 30 lights in a series. Commercial growers could enjoy the benefits of controlled lighting and convenient operation throughout the year.
- Superior Heat Dissipation with After-Sale Service : The FC-E1000W marshydro grow light Detachable power supply can be mounted remotely on the side of a grow tent/rack or on adjacent wall to remove heat from grow space,The input voltage is 100-277V AC, compatible with most horticultural applications.Trusted 5 full years warranty, 100% Satisfactory Solution guaranteed if any problem!
|LED lights (Wattage)||Closest in inches||Farthest in inches|
If you are not sure of the distance to maintain between the plant canopies and the light, you should read the manufacturer’s instructions that come with the LED grow light. Today LED grow lights also come in the form of much stronger COB LEDs. During the vegetative phase, you should place the plants further away if you are using COB LEDs.
If you notice your cannabis plants struggling and showing signs of stress, you should take that as a sign to push the lights further away. However, if the plants start going limp and stretching to find light, you should bring the lights closer to the plants. Again, COB LEDs come with the manufacturer’s instructions, so it is wise to be keen before installing them.
If you try everything and the plants still show no signs of recuperating, remove some lights. It would be best to keep in mind that using LED grow lights with the wattage of 40 to 70/Sq. Ft is enough to provide the plants with ample light. Anything higher than 70 watts may be too much for the plants. If your grow room does not have enough light adjustment space, train the plants using Low-Stress Training.
Low-Stress Training requires bending the stems of the cannabis plant to the side of the growing container to penetrate light into the plant canopies. Bending the stems helps reduce the plants’ height, thus bringing down the distance between the plant canopy and the light. However, plants may try to defy the bending and try to rise up to get as much light as they can.
In this case, you will need to hold the stems down with strong wires cable tires, taking care not to hurt the plants. Low Stress Training also works well during the auto flowering phase, but to be cautious, use it only during the vegetative state. The reason to use LST during the vegetative stage is to prevent causing stress to the plants during the flowering phase, which is the most critical stage in the cannabis life cycle.
- Best cob grow light for indoor/outdoor plants: Adopt 60°optical lens for offering more uniform light than other small grow lights, good performance for indoor and outdoor plants growing.
- Durable cob grow light: A high-speed mute fan+upgrade rediator constructed powerful cooling system for ensuring grow lamp works at 50°F-60°F，in a low temperature, can prolong the lighting time lifetime, you can save mush cost for changing light and your loved plants also will be happier.
- Energy-effecient full spectrum led cob grow light: It can be replaced traditional 300W HPS/MH grow light, only consuming 50W, help you save much money on electricity bill , bang for your buck. Suitable as a gift for Christmas, Thanksgiving, Mother's Day.!.
- Widely usage small led cob grow light: This sunlike grow light can be used for both hydroponics and indoor plants in soil, mainly used for small plants,mirco-greens, greenhouse, plants shelvies.omdppr gardem. grow tent.
- Professional costomer service: We are fully confidence in our grow lights, we provide a 90-day money-back guarantee and a 2-year warranty. If you have any questions, you are welcome to contact us at any time. We will provide you professional service within 24 hours!
- 🌱[Eco-friendly Products and Energy Saving] – Black Friday Cyber Monday, Growstar spent more costs on product quality, safety factors, environmental impact. Compared with the traditional HPS grow light, this 150w LED grow light helps you save more energy and money.
- 🌻[Advanced LED Chips & Full Spectrum] 3000k High Par Value COB LED Grow Light 150W uses LED chips which is one of the best white grow light quality. 380-760nm Advanced full spectrum include UV&IR, the complete and ultra-efficient spectral provides plants Veg and Flower all stages growth, increase the Par Value and yield of plants.
- 🌱[Powerful Cooling Fan System]All our led grow lights have passed temperature test before leaving factory. Built-in aluminium heat-sink and aircraft-grade high heat-conducting aluminum case, which can quickly emit the heat from the lamp inside to outside, keep the LEDs cool and extend the light service life. The aluminum shell will be a little hot when the light is working, but don't worry, it is normal phenomenon.
- 🌻[Scientific and Effective 90 to 120 degree Angle Design] This COB plant grow light with 90 to 120 degree angle creates a wilder lighting area and increases brightness level, and makes a great improvement on output.
- 【100% Satisfied After-sale Customer Service】Each of Our led grow light has passed strict inspection before they leave the factory.If there is any problem or you are not satisfied 100%,please feel free to contact us by contact way on the product at once. Enjoy this absolutely RISK FREE purchase by clicking the yellow Add to Cart button.
- Patented Products with A Unique Appearance: The perfect mix of 6 high lux Cree COB LEDs and a 3W LED chip for max. efficiency, and energy-saving; VIVOSUN’s blooming product is made up of aluminum and polycarbonate material, making it a product that is elegant and exquisite
- Effectively Promotes Growth: The scientific, full-spectrum 410-730nm values ensure VIVOSUN's 1200W LED Grow Light and bloom switches are, indeed, effective; Different wavelengths imitate natural sunlight to provide plants with everything that they require
- Powerful Cooling System: The 2, built-in large heat sinks guarantee high efficient heat dissipation and lasting durability; The cooling fans are so quiet that you can hardly hear any sound through an enclosed growing tent
- Energy-Saving: Compared to the traditional HPSL and MHL light, VIVOSUN's LED Grow Light is 80% electric energy saving and can be up to 90% light absorbing effect; This maximizes yield quantity and quality
- Guaranteed Quality and Results: VIVOSUN guarantees your satisfaction in vegetation growth and flowering; To back our confidence, our product comes with a 3-year warranty and a 30-day, hassle-free, return guarantee
- 🌼【Upgraded LED Grow Lights For Plants】- This waterproof Led Grow Light with optimal full spectrum (380-800nm) which provides plants Veg and Flower all stages with everything they desire in the natural sunlight. Especially RED(630-660nm): Promote flowering and fruiting and increase yield directly; BLUE(440-460nm): Promote germination and photosynthesis; IR(780-800nm): Promoting plant cell growth; UV(380nm): solar grow light Helps plants keep healthy growing.
- 🌼【Heat-Dissipation & Noise-Free】LED plants light adopt with heat dissipation IC, integral radiating space alumium case and heat-dissipation coating design ensure the plant light's working temperature less than 140℉. The grow lights use aluminum make it cooling down instead use fans, bring you a fanless quiet grow experience.
- 🌼【【Lightweight and easy to install 】- Extra power switch on 67 inch(1.7M) prolonged cable plus 180°adjustable bracket and 3 ways of mounting, making it safer and more convenient. Without fan and driver working, ultra-thin and ultra-light with wide light angle of 180°. Without noise, perfect for indoor quiet environment.
- 🌼【Energy Efficient & Save Cost】Comparable to traditional 200W HPS/MH , the COB led grow lights consuming only 50W. Experimentals proof that our plants growing lamps can increase 45%-63% plant's yield and save 40% energy consumption.
- 🌼【Safe to Use】This led grow lights for indoor plants has qualified with CE, FCC and ROHS certificates. Our company are equipped with strong R&D team and strict QC department, Any product and planting questions of our products, just feel free to contact us at any time.
- ►【Full Spectrum Plant Grow Light】 150W LED grow light adopt with advanced COB chip and curved lampshade design that offers more highly-uniform and concentrated full spectrum(380-800nm) to plants any time, any where. Experimentals proof that our grow light can increase 45%-63% plant's yield and save 40% energy consumption. Working power 50+-5%W, 200W HPS/MH replacement while consuming only 50W with COB plants grow light.
- ►【Waterproof Outdoor Grow Lights】 IP67 waterproof plant light is suitable for both outdoor and indoor plants. We did lots of experimentation on its waterproof especially when the plants needs extra light in raining and snowing days. Don't worry about damage caused by water entering the led plant grow light. Perfect for gardens and farms.
- ►【Safer Grow Light for Indoor Plants】 Waterproof plant light adopt with heat dissipation IC, integral radiating space aluminum case, heat-dissipation coating design and overcurrent, overvoltage protection, ensure the COB plant light's working temperature less than 140℉. No fan no noise, but safer than the light fixture with fan. Suitable for indoor quiet environment. ON/OFF switch made the waterproof cob led grow light safer when in used.
- ►【Widely Used & Adjustable Plant Light】 This waterproof grow light designs with adjustable bracket and comes with hook. This led plant growing lamp can be hung in the air, fixed to the wall/plant stand and directly put on the floor/desk. Without taking off the grow lights and easily to adjust the angle to match your plants needs.
- ►【Quality Assurance & Service】 Plants growing light has passed CE, FCC and RoHS certification. Premium quality and safty waterproof led grow light that suitable for indoor/outdoor plants.
If you are using MH and HPS grow lights, follow the distance levels on the chart below to help you determine the proper distance to maintain.
|HPS and MH Lights (Wattage)||Closest in inches||Farthest in inches|
Another way of preventing light burn is by maintaining the ideal temperature in the grow room. You can do this by using cooling fans to balance the heat effects emitted by the grow lights.
Ensure that temperature reduction is gradual in the grow room to allow the plants with stress-free adjustment to the new temperature conditions. Once you have the right temperature, try to keep it consistent by regular monitoring.
Can You Cure Light Burn?
Curing cannabis light burn is not as easy as preventing the menace, especially if the leaves turn a complete white. If the leaves and buds have extreme burns, it may be almost impossible to save them.
If the leaves and buds crumple from being too crispy, it is also hard to save your cannabis. However, if you notice the white early enough, you can save the situation by increasing the distance between plants and lights.
You can also water the cannabis plants to restore moisture lost. Installing cooling fans is also another way of trying to cure the situation caused by the light burn. If the bleaching on the buds is not too intense, you can wait until the harvest.
You can also pluck off the leaves turning white from the plant to prevent them from further stressing the plant. When the plants are still young during the vegetative phase, you can cut off their tops once you start noticing any signs of light stress.
The top trimming method, known as topping and firming, reduces light and plant distance considerably. You also need to bear in mind that the tops do not stay down for long, and they grow back. In this case, you will need to combine topping, firming, and Low-Stress Training that ensures the plants are not close to the grow lights.
Light Stress Vs. Heat Stress
New cannabis growers find it hard to differentiate between light burn and heat stress. The reason for this is that light burn, in most cases, appears alongside heat stress. Besides producing light, grow lights also give off heat, which may cause harm to the plants.
Plants that are too close to the light source also incur as much light exposure as they do heat stress. What this means is that the plants have a mixture of both heat stress and light stress conditions. The symptoms for both heat and light stress show discolored leaves, wilting leaves, and eventual dying of the leaves.
Indoor cannabis growers that use grow lights to grow crops can use a trick to check how much heat is too much for the plants under a grow light. The best testing method is to place a hand under the grow light, ensuring that the height is the same as that of the crops. If the warmth from the heat emitted by the grow light feels comfortable on the hand, it means that your plants are safe from the heat.
Preventing Heat Burn on Your Outdoor Cannabis Plants
Even though cannabis growing outdoors is less likely to suffer from the light burn, even under the most intense and direct sunlight, there are some exceptions. One such exception is transferring cannabis plants from indoors to outdoors.
It takes time for indoor crops to adjust to the outdoors environment. If you want to avoid light burn, do not move your indoor crops directly below intense sunlight. Instead, it would be best to place them in shaded locations outdoors until they adjust to the bright new environment. After a while, you can place the plants in a place with more sunshine.
Read also: The Causes of Cannabis Leaves Curling Down
Wrapping It Up
Even as you try to maintain the correct light distances between the grow lights and the plants, you should also consider the watering and nutrient requirements of your cannabis. The more light you use in the grow room, the more the crops grow and the more nutrients and water they need.
Feeding the crops with the right amounts of water and nutrient will reduce light burn. Do not forget to check the temperature levels, too, because high temperatures play a huge role contributing to light burn.