A grow tent is an invaluable asset you may require as a cannabis farmer since it helps to create an environment that gives you control over the planting conditions. A grow room cannot work without is a ventilation system to control its internal atmosphere. An exhaust system is responsible for the circulation of air inside and outside the grow room creating conditions that will enable the cannabis plants to thrive. It helps to regulate the temperature, humidity, and carbon dioxide, which affect photosynthesis that the plants require to grow.
Every cannabis grower should have a working ventilation system that provides consistent conditions for the rapid growth of the plants. This article aims to educate you on the importance of having an exhaust system and how to set it in a grow tent.
New Product: ( On 2021)
Note: Up to 35$ off + extra 15% discount on inline fan with code AFF15 for link above
Table of Contents
- Best Equipment About Climate Control For Grow Cannabis Indoor 09- 2022
- What is the importance of air circulation in a grow room?
- Ventilating the Grow room
- Choosing an exhaust fan for your grow room
- When should you keep your fans on and off?
- Summing up
Best Equipment About Climate Control For Grow Cannabis Indoor 09- 2022
- 12 Inch Variable Speed Shutter Exhaust Fan with automatic shutters
- UL Listed with speed controllable, permanently lubricated motor
- Corrosion-resistant with OSHA compliant wire guards
- Galvanized steel frame with aluminum shutters and fan blades
- Comes with features of newest Thermospeed(TM) Controller ILG8SFST
- VERSATILE FAN: Ventilation fan helps eliminate , tobacco smoke, and cooking odors and can be installed in either the ceiling or wall
- EFFICIENT: Operates on 70 CFM and has a 6.0 Sone rating to ensure a peaceful surrounding when in operation
- EASY INSTALLATION: Torsion springs grille mounting - no tools necessary for a quick and easy installation. Compact housing fits easily between ceiling joists or wall studs
- DECORATIVE: Paintable polymeric grilles allow you to ensure the fan is cohesive with your existing decor
- FEATURES: Plug-in, permanently lubricated motor with the Broan-designed polymeric blower wheel for high-quality operation every time
- CUT COOLING COSTS: Reduce expensive cooling bills at home. Ready to install, our wall-mounted automatic shutter vent fan is designed to help keep your living space cooler and more comfortable year-round.
- MULTIPURPOSE: Perfect cooling and ventilation solution for any space at your home - including the attic, garage, shed, and more. Corrosion-resistant, the fully enclosed motor is thermally protected and permanently lubricated for easy maintenance.
- VARIABLE SPEED: Customize your comfort. iLiving Exhaust Fan has adjustable speed functionality when combined with the iLIVING ILG8SFSC speed controller (sold separately).
- WEATHER RESISTANT SHUTTERS: Constructed from durable, high-grade aluminum, these shutters can withstand moisture and heat longer than other competitors’ products adding to the fan’s longevity.
- POWERFUL AND EFFICIENT: Small but mighty, you’ll enjoy the power and efficiency of iLiving’s Shutter Exhaust Fan. The 24-inch runs on standard 120 volts at 1/4 HP, 2.65 amps with 1050 rotations per minute, cooling and ventilating an area of 4244 cubic feet per minute!
- APPLICATIONS This 12 inch shutter/exhaust fan with automatic Shutters can help replace your ac unit by cooling your garage attic greenhouse shop or chicken coop Can easily be added to a window opening or opening in the wall along with a Speed Controller to optimize cooling
- Shutter Exhaust Fan 120 Volts 63W 0. 52A 1620RPM 940CFM
- Fan Speed Controller iPower Fan Speed Controller will correctly and precisely adjust the speed of your Shutter Exhaust Fan Durable 3-Pole Grounded Plug Construction No Extra Wires to Deal With
- Multiple Speed One control switch for 3 Variable Speed settings OFF HIGH MED LOW
- Power Cord Kit This Power Cord Kit is easy to install & includes a 3-foot strain relief clamp wire connectors & installation instructions Simplify installation of your Ventilation Fan with this easy to use power cord kit Universal extension cord power kit works.
- Quiet 2.0 sone ventilation fan (approximately 40 decibels)
- Great for use in your bathroom and other small rooms
- Galvanized steel housing, quick-connect wiring
- UL Listed for over tub and shower with GFCI
- 3-inch duct outlet, joist mount installation
What is the importance of air circulation in a grow room?
There needs to be sufficient air exchange in a grow tent for ventilation to be adequate. You, therefore, need to acquire an extractor fan to get a better chance of controlling the internal environment of your grow room for fast plant growth. Here are some of the reasons why ventilation is essential.
Regulation of Temperature
An indoor growing environment is very different from an outdoor setting. When you grow cannabis plants outside, you expose them to a continuously flowing air; hence they will rarely have any problems regarding heat. It is a different case for plants that grow indoors. The artificial light you provide to the plants produces heat. You need to remove this heat from the grow room before it becomes excessive, leading to the discoloration of leaves, wilting ad even death of the plants.
You, therefore, need to have an exhaust system in place to help with the circulation of air by getting rid of the hot air in the room and bringing in cold air to balance the conditions.
Regulation of Humidity
Humidity is well known to be the air’s ability to hold water. It is the amount of water in the atmosphere that determines how fast a plant will grow. A cannabis plant has three growth phases where each phase requires its level of humidity. An indoor grow tents give a cannabis grower the ability to control the level of moisture, thereby setting the optimum growth conditions they can leverage to get the best plant growth. It is very different than an outdoor setting where no one can gain control over the elements.
One of the factors that lead to an increase in humidity is transpiration. When the plants give off water, the grow room will become damp due to the rise in levels of moisture. You, therefore, need to have a way that can help you get rid of the humid air.
Controlling the buildup of CO2
Plants require carbon dioxide to grow. They need it for the process of photosynthesis together with the chlorophyll in the leaves to create their food. The process takes place during the day. However, during the night that plants intake oxygen and give off carbon dioxide as a result. When plants grow indoors, it may be difficult for air in the grow room to leave if you do not have an exhaust since the tent is enclosed. Therefore the carbon dioxide that the plants produce at night may accumulate, creating an imbalance in the ratio of carbon to oxygen. An excellent ventilation system helps in purifying the air, thereby solving the problem.
Strengthening of the plant’s stems
The strengthening of the stems of a cannabis plant is an indirect benefit that comes when you grow your plants indoors. But how does it happen? Once you set up an exhaust system in a grow room, there will be several fans regulating the indoor temperature by creating airflow. When the fans are active, they will gently blow on the stems of the plants forcing them to bend and sway gently. This continuous breeze on the plants helps in strengthening their stems as they get ready to support the buds in development.
Reducing the chances of Bud Rot, Mold and White Powdery Mildew
Mold, Bud rot, and White powdery mildew are more likely to occur on a plant that has high levels of moisture and humidity. Once you set up the ventilation system, the continuous flow of air helps to control the amount of moisture in the air. Any moisture that the plants release as well during transpiration is carried away by the air currents reducing the chances of the occurrence of white powdered mildew, mold, and bud rot.
Protection from garden pests
Fungus gnats and spider mites are prevalent pests that attack plants and are especially deadly to cannabis plants. They can thrive in an environment that has stagnant air. However, a ventilation system prevents them from taking dominance by creating lots of air circulation, drying the growing medium or soil. It is a protective measure against the breeding of the pests and the rearing of diseases.
Ventilating the Grow room
When you set up a grow room ventilation system, there are two types of fans that you should have:
You can readily find oscillating fans at a cost-friendly price. Their main job is to help in keeping the grow room cold by blowing air all around the grow room. They are quite easy to set up, and their design enables then to work in all directions. When choosing a size to use, you should consider the size of your grow tent. You want to have the fans spreading a gentle cool breeze around your marijuana canopy. Therefore you should set your fans in a way that they blow both above and under the plants. You should be careful about how you position the oscillating fans. Make sure they do not blow strongly towards your cannabis plants. It may cause damage to the stems, leaves, and buds. However, position them in a way the wind from the fan reaches all corners of the grow room. If you find a blind spot in your grow room, move around the fans until they cover all the areas.
While the oscillating fans help with the control of temperature and humidity, you need an air extractor fan that will bring in the fresh air and purify it. It replaces the stagnant air in the grow tent with fresh air that is important for the growth of the plants. There are two ways through which air may flow into a grow room:
Through Passive intake
In a passive intake, there is a hole that lets in the air while a fan blows the air out. As the fan sucks out air from the grow room, it creates a vacuum, and fresh air flows in through a hole from the bottom of the tent. It follows the negative-pressure law, where the grow tent develops a lower pressure than the surrounding environment.
If your grow room uses a passive intake method, you should ensure that the intake hole is bigger than the exhaust hole three or four times to allow for the proper suction of air. You may as well opt to install more than one passive intake hole to increase the amount of air flowing into the grow room.
Through Active Intake
An active intake is slightly different since it utilizes a fan to drive air into the grow room. Your grow room will, therefore, have two other fans, one blowing air into the grow room and another blowing air out of the grow room. In an active intake, the size of the intake hole does not matter. Moreover, you need to use the active intake system if your tent is enormous or if you face problems brought about by high temperatures.
Some other equipments that are necessary for proper air circulation in a grow room include:
An Active Carbon Filter
It is a device that you need if you are growing marijuana consisting of highly aromatic strains. Marijuana is known to have an odor that may not be pleasing to everyone. A carbon filter can help you prevent your neighbors and anyone else from knowing that you are growing cannabis as it absorbs the smell.
- ✅1-PACK Cut-to-Fit Carbon Pad 16 x 48 x 1/8 inches for Air Filters Charcoal Sheet fits Range Hoods Furnace Filters removes Odor VOC Parts Accessories Replacement Replenishment and more
- ✅Removes Odors and Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) from the Air
- ✅Cut-to-fit Charcoal Sheet
- ✅Replace Model Series Parts Periodically to Keep Your Machine Fresh and Clean
- ✅Can Be Cut to Fit Range Hoods and Furnace Filters
- CARBON FILTER SPEC Air Flow: 210CFM; Dimensions: 4" Flange Ducting x 12" Length 1200+ IAV Australian Activated Carbon: One of the world's most absorbent carbon available
- TWO PRE-FILTER high-quality material blocks 99% of the particles, effectively preventing the filter from being clogged
- APPLICATIONS Designed to eliminate odors and chemicals for grow tents and hydroponics room.indoor planting tents, bathrooms, basements, and kitchens
- PACKAGE INCLUDES: 4inch Carbon Filter ,2 free Pre-Filter , 1 pair rope hanger, heavy-duty stainless steel flanges
This device will help you reduce the noise your exhaust or intake fan makes, thereby reducing noise pollution.
This device is a 2 in 1 hygrometer and thermometer that can help you keep track of the humidity levels in your grow tent. You can choose to either have them separately or get one that gives you both results. You need to set several thermo-hygrometers in different sections of your grow tent to help you monitor the temperature and humidity readings in different parts of the room, and ensure that they are all the same.
Choosing an exhaust fan for your grow room
When selecting an exhaust fan, you need to know how much air it can circulate in cubic feet per minute since that is the standard rating all over the US. To figure out the volume capacity of an exhaust fan that you need to multiply the volume of the growing space, with the time of air exchange and the loss of efficacy.
Loss of efficacy x time of air exchange (hours) x volume of growing space = volume of the required exhaust fan
You can get the volume of your grow space by multiplying the length, width, and height of your grow tent. The equipment you use in a grow tent is not always perfect. You will still have to account for some inefficiency of which most growers account for a 25 percent loss.
Therefore, if your grow room measures 12′ x 6’x 6′, the air volume will be 432 cubic feet. You can, therefore, get the minimum volume capacity of the exhaust fan by multiplying the volume with the loss of efficiency and time duration of one hour that equates to 60 minutes
432m3 x 1.25 x 60 = minimum volumetric capacity per hour of the exhaust fan. = 32,400 m3/hour. This amount is the exhaust capacity that your grow room may require. When sourcing an exhaust fan, it is better to get on that has a higher-performing power to always stay on the safe side.
When should you keep your fans on and off?
As mentioned earlier, the two most important kinds of fans in a grow tent are the oscillating fans and extractor fans. However, both of them do not always run at the same time.
You should always ensure that your extractor fans are running when the lights are on. Though, you should ensure that the fans run with the custom CFM rating of the grow tent. The oscillating fans should as well run entirely when the lights are on. When the lights are off, the production of heat temporarily halts. You can then reduce the seed of the exhaust fans for the first 20 minutes, and when the temperature and humidity reduce to a standard level, you can then run the fans on a regular frequency, a few minutes every hour till you turn on the lights again. Even if there is no heat from the light, the oscillating fans still need to keep running. As the plants continue to breathe, a rise in humidity is always a concern.
As you can see from the above guide, the process of setting up the ventilation system in your grow room is not too complicated. You only need to follow the instructions set out for you, and you will keep harvesting healthy and abundant cannabis buds. Do not hold back when investing in your grow room ventilation system. When you get an air circulation system, invest in it, regardless of the price point. It will be of help in getting rid of any pests and diseases that may affect your plants.
As you can see, it is one of the most critical factors affecting the growth of your marijuana. However, this does not mean that you compromise on the quality of the products you choose to use. Make sure that the fan and filters you use are strong enough to help create a suitable environment for your plants for a long time. Since you are now well equipped with the tips to setting up an exhaust system for your plants, we hope your grow room will be successful. If you happen to land on any problem while setting up, feel free to reach out to us.
- Keeps All Light Inside: The VIVOSUN Hydroponic Mylar Grow Tent is made of high-quality 600D Oxford canvas that is lined with reinforced PE layer and 100%-reflective mylar walls, which can effectively block all light from leaking and boost the output efficiency of your setup; The zipper part has also upgraded with the black inner lining to prevent light into the tent; There is no need for additional flaps or tape, you can just zip up to create a lightproof seal environment
- High Efficiency & Lower Cost: The VIVOSUN VS1000 LED grow light uses the latest high-efficiency (2.75μmol/J) LED plant light technology with premium Samsung LM301 diodes, providing uniform lighting and stronger light output; The energy consumption is only 100 watts, making it more efficient than traditional HID lights and other plant lamps on the market; It is perfect for covering 3 x 3 ft. area (4 x 4 ft. max) and lights can be absorbed better by plants
- Advanced Made Easy: Don’t waste time buying and returning parts that may or may not be compatible or safe to use together-this three-part grow tent fan kit includes everything you need to get set up
- Precise Data: VIVOSUN wireless indoor outdoor thermometer records accurate all time/24 hours max and min temperature and humidity readings; Temperature trend arrows indicate whether it’s getting warmer or colder near the remote temperature monitor; Temp Accuracy: ± 1.5°F/± 1°C; Humidity Accuracy: ±5%
- Reusable and Versatile: Made of pliable, braided, and heavy-duty polyester, this netting can be used for vertical gardening, horizontal gardening, and A-Frame trellises; It’s long-lasting, reusable, and will support your plants’ growth; You can easily fold it up and store it away after you’re done using it
- Package Include: 24" x 24" x 55" grow tent, LED grow light, and 4" ventilation kit includes 4" inline duct fan, carbon filter, flex ducting, 3pcs duct clamps, thermometer and hygrometer, timer, 4pcs 5 gallon grow bags, 2pcs adjustable rope hangers.
- Full Spectrum Grow Light: Dimmable full spectrum LED grow light consumes only 100W with 240 pcs LEDs. IP65 waterproof helps extend the lifespan. High efficiency that saves 50% on energy bills than HPS grow lights and delivers powerful light output to maximize the yields, idea for all growth stages.
- Durable & Sturdy Grow Tent: Well-constructed with strong and sturdy steel frame. Reflective mylar interior gathers more grow lights. Heavy duty 600D oxford cloth exterior increases the durability. Reliable zippers provide smoother shut and open. Double stitching perfectly lock light inside. Waterproof tray makes your floor away from water leakage.
- Effective Ventilation System: Noise-free 4" inline duct fan, Australian charcoal carbon filter and flex aluminum ducting offer a effective ventilation system. Strong and powerful airflow helps eliminate all unwanted smell, also ideal for humidity control.
- Save Your Time And Money: Forget about choosing the individual item one by one. Our complete grow tent kit not only saves your time but also saves your money. Super easy to assemble and operate, even for beginner growers. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. We are always here to provide excellent customer service support before and after buying.
- Grow Tent: 96% highly reflective waterproof diamond mylar (enhance the reflective effect); 600D high-reflective Diamond Mylar, Large heavy duty Zippers & Double Stitching for protection against light leaks. Easy entry and access
- Ventilation Kit: Pre-filter included,Cleaner air to promote better health; Use Coal Based activated carbon environmentally friendly materials and Carbon Layer Thickness: 1.5 inches; Durable ceramic-coated. Composite fan blades and center hub which reduces noise and vibration
- LED:【Save Grow】Just consumes about 200w power. High Efficiency PPF LEDs make you cost less but get more.【Highyield Grow】Re-defined & Wide coverage light design, benefit your plants everywhere.【 Lazy Grow】Real full spectrum (sunlight) for plant from veg growth to bloom, no need to change your light source.【Durable Grow】High-end & high performance self-heating dissipation construction for long lifespan. Plug and play directly.【Quiet Grow】No Fan design and make grow room so quiet.
- HYGROMETER: High stability & accuracy.Display temperature, humidity and time sim,ultaneously; ROPE HANGERS: Up to 75-pound weight load capacity per ratchet; a pair can handle 150-pounds; SHEARS: Enable excellent smooth and clean cutting action for precise results, also reduce hand strain; TRELLIS NETTING: Heavy-duty nylon tangle-free net is ideal for growing vining vegetables, fruits, and flowers; TIMER: 24 Hour settings with switch knob
- Fast Shipping & Discreet Package
- 【MARS HYDRO AMAZON SERVICE】Quickest FBA Shipment Speed +100% Satisfactory Seller Solution+30 Days Hassle-free Return + 5 Years Warranty of Grow Light =Happy Purchase, any problems will be responded within 8 hours!
- 【Grow Tent Kit Complete System Includes】Mars Hydro 2x2FT TS600W grow light, 24"x24"x55" grow tent, 4"inline fan with speed controller, 4"carbon filter, 33ft length flex ducting, duct clamps, timer, humidity thermometer, 3pcs 5 Gallon grow bags, adjustable rope hangers.
- 【HIGH EFFICIENCY ENERGY SAVING PLANT GROW LIGHT】It Consuming only 100 Watts output with 225pcs LEDs, more scientifically and energy-efficient! Max 2.0g yield, highest PAR/LUMEN output(430μmol/m².s), perfect suit 2' x 2' veg stage, 1.5' x 1.5' bloom stage. Full-spectrum led grow lamp, ideal for all growth stages. TS600W without dimmer.
- 【HIGHER QUALITY GROW TENT】It's made of thicker1680D canvas grow tent material(ALL OTHERS brands grow tent are 601D canvas), which is tear proof & perfect light locking; 13% denser zipper teeth helping zippers work smoother & more durable; 33% better support capacity metal frame(thickness is 0.8mm, OTHERS only 0.6), ensuring security and stability, supports up to 88lb/40kg.
- 【EFFICIENT 4"INLINE FAN KIT: Fan Speed】2550RPM , Airflow: 200 CFM , Noise: 28 dBA. Upgraded Inline Fan with EC motor & metal case & 3 settings speed controller, more durable & safer to use! 4" Fan Carbon Filter; 1050+ RC 48 Australian Virgin Charcoal with 33ft length flex ducting, moves air quickly & efficiently for optimal ventilation.
- TOP NOTCH QUALITY LED GROW LIGHT: Use Samsung LM301B diodes and MEAN WELL driver; full spectrum light ideal for all stages of growth; adjustable light intensity with dimmer switch; protective coating on LEDs helps extend the lifespan; no fan, zero noise. Only consumes 100w, running 50% less power than other Blurple lamps or HPS. This light delivers a powerful light output and uniform canopy penetration resulting in maximum yields.
- DURABLE & STURDY GROW TENT: 100% Reflective Mylar interior maximizes the efforts of grow lights; heavy-duty 1680D Oxford cloth exterior adds durability; reliable SBS zipper shut and open smoothly; double stitching for strength and light protection; well-constructed with strong and sturdy steel frame; plenty of openings for fans/ vents/ electrical cords; removable viewing mesh screen for viewing & removing humidity; bottom tray prevent water leakage on the floor and keep tent stay clean.
- POWERFUL VENTILATION SYSTEM: Quiet and powerful 4” Inline fan and RC412 Australian carbon filter and flex aluminum ducting combo; very easy to install and use; gives strong airflow and proper air circulation.
- MONEY & ENERGY SAVING COMPLETE GROW TENT KIT: Compare the cost of individual items and the cost of our complete grow tent package, our kit saves $$ and a lot of time vs buying each item separately. Designed to be user-friendly; comes with easy-to-follow installation instructions; is easy to assemble and is very simple to operate, even for beginner growers. All parts are compatible and properly matched; everything comes in 1 box with discreet packaging.
- VALUE FOR THE MONEY: Getting a high-quality grow tent kit means that you’ll get more value for a longer period of time. All parts are backed up by local maintenance centers in the USA. As a manufacturer specializing in the production of Led grow lights for more than 10 years, Spider Farmer has been insisting on creating more efficient, more suitable and better quality home grow equipment, being a trusted partner for every grower!