HID grow lights have been present for a long time even before the emergence of some of the modern light fixtures such as LEDs and Plasma grow light. For numerous years, they have been the most reliable choice a cannabis grower may choose for their farm. HID bulbs contain two different types of gas that light up when you turn them on. These two gases are Metal Halide (MH) and High-Pressure Sodium (HPS). With a high number of HID manufacturers releasing their product to the market, it has become even harder to get a top-quality HID grow light. Due to increased competition in bringing products to the market, it impacts the quality of lamps flowing into the market.
Numerous brands are registering massive failures with bulbs blowing up within the first few weeks of use. Still, the top HID grow lights in the market can deliver excellent results. If you are looking for an HID grow lamp to use on your farm, then you should select one of those listed below.
Table of Contents
- 1 Our Top Picks Best Hid Grow Lights
- 1.1 iPower 400 Watt HPS MH Digital Dimmable Grow Light System
- 1.2 Hydroplanet™ 600W Digital Dimmable Ballast HPS MH System
- 1.3 iPower 1000 Watt HPS Digital Dimmable Ballast Grow Light System
- 1.4 Yield Lab 600w High-Pressure Sodium (HPS) Digital HID Grow Light Bulb
- 1.5 Eye Hortilux HX66620 Super HPS Lamp
- 2 What Should You Consider When Choosing An HID Bulb
- 3 LED vs. HID Grow Lights?
- 4 Conclusion
Our Top Picks Best Hid Grow Lights
iPower 400 Watt HPS MH Digital Dimmable Grow Light System
iPower has dominated the horticultural industry for more than a decade as one of the leading grow light manufacturers. The iPower 400 Watt HPS MH Digital Dimmable Grow Light System provides your plants with the necessary light it requires to rise from the seedling stage till it starts to flower. It gives a flicker-free light of high intensity and a better quality spectrum. It comes with a wing reflector measuring 19 inches that support a light coverage of up to 4 foot by 4 foot. The reflector has a German aluminum texture that helps to maximize the amount of light fed to the plants. It also has a digital dimmable ballast that you can use to dim the amount of power output by 100 percent, 75 percent, and 50 percent increasing the efficiency of your grow light. IPower focuses their strength on improving the security of all their lighting devices to ensure that you will not have
When using the iPower HPS MH Digital Dimmable Grow Light System, you need to ensure that you have a working ventilation system. The lamp produces a lot of heat that would damage your plants if you do not have a way to control the internal grow room climate.
- The lamp provides your plants with a full spectrum light that is beneficial for plant growth
- It eliminates the need to use different types of lights in your grow room
- It comes with a hood and reflector that ensures light distributes well to your plants
- Since it contains a dimmer, you can regulate the amount of light flowing to the plants
- It saves you on cost since it is a fully comprehensive system. You can, therefore, start planting immediately
- The materials that make up the light are of top quality
- It comes with a long-lasting bulb that has low instances of failure
- It produces a lot of heat that would otherwise destroy your plants if you do not have a proper ventilation system
Hydroplanet™ 600W Digital Dimmable Ballast HPS MH System
If you are looking for versatility in the type of lighting that you use, then the Hydroplanet™ Digital Dimmable Ballast HPS MH System may offer just that. You can choose to use either the MH or the HPS lamps with the fixture. You may as well decide to use both types of lamps and covert from one to another with ease. Once you set your lighting cycle, the lights will continually stay on due to an inbuilt protection mechanism by the lighting system. The bulbs will give you a flicker-free light of 90,000 lumens, which is good enough to provide you with a healthy plant yield. Its 600 watts digital ballast can support both 120 volts and 240 volts. The kit as well contains a high quality reflector that helps to distribute the right amount of light to your plants. Alongside, the bulbs in the fixture are double-ended, providing your plants with the right amount of light.
- The grow light is ETL certified
- It has a highly reflective surface that aids in uniform light distribution
- It is easy to install
- The light is highly effective and specially made for the flowering and fruiting stages of growth.
- The lamp comes with a two-year warranty
- The grow light fixture is slightly heavy
iPower 1000 Watt HPS Digital Dimmable Ballast Grow Light System
Another iPower light to grace the list is the 1000W HPS digital dimmable Ballast Grow Light. The lighting fixture is an excellent alternative to an LED light. Similar to the 400W, it stands out due to its dimmable feature with options ranging from 50 percent, 75 percent, and 100 percent. The iPower 1000W can as well support a power input of 120 volts and 240 volts. You may control the amount of light to that of need by the plants using the dimming feature. It, however, produces a brighter light output of about 140,000 lumens. The light bulb in use can last for about 24,000 hours in continuous use without flickering or blacking out. After 5000 hours of use, the bulb will maintain a 90 percent brightness throughout. The lamp produces a full spectrum light that can support growth through all the growing stages of your weed plants. It is the next best thing to an LED light.
It is essential to have a sound ventilation system in your grow tent when operating the iPower 1000 Watt HPS Digital Dimmable Ballast Grow Light System. It produces heat that if you do not get rid of, it may burn your plants.
- The grow light has a long lifespan of 24,000 hours.
- It provides your plants with a full spectrum light that can support all the stages of your cannabis weed growth.
- The light it produces does not flicker
- It comes with a reflector that helps to distribute heat to your plants
- You can control the amount of light for your plants using the digital dimmable feature of the lamp.
- The lamp has some parts that may be difficult to replace once it damages
- It is costlier than its HPS counterparts in the market
Yield Lab 600w High-Pressure Sodium (HPS) Digital HID Grow Light Bulb
If you want a grow light that will provide you more lumens that power it consumes, then you should get the Yield Lab 600w HPS Digital HID Grow Light Bulb. All the HID products by Yield Labs go through a UL and CE testing to ensure that they are safe for use in an indoor environment. You can get a yield growing fixture with a 400w, 600W and 1000W ballast depending on the size of your grow area. The 600W grow light can effectively cover an area ranging from 4ft by 4ft to 5ft by 5ft. The lamp can produce a vigorous light intensity of about 90,000 lumens made up of different light wavelengths comprising of the yellow, red, orange, and blue spectrum. The light it produces helps to increase the yields of your plants effortlessly. By using the Yield Grow Light Bulb, you will get a 20 percent increase in the amount of flowering than any other bulb in the market.
- The bulb has a high PAR efficiency
- It can have a long lifespan of 24,000 hours.
- The bulbs provide a light spectrum that supports dense vegetative growth together with the flowering stage.
- The bulb has a higher blue spectrum production than any other in the market
- It leads to an increase in the budding of your cannabis plants by 20 percent
- The bulbs produce a lot of heat. Therefore, you need a fan to control the heat in your grow room
Eye Hortilux HX66620 Super HPS Lamp
One other grow light that deserves plenty of mention is the Eye Hortilux HX66620 Super HPS Lamp. The 400W grow light is a product of one of the premium horticultural lighting brands that have been in the market for more than 20 years. Among its kind, the bulbs lead in the PAR and lumens that they produce according to the PPFDD. THE grow light leads to the development of bigger and fuller flowers with overall high yields. The bulbs are environmentally friendly, and you can dispose off them without the need to recycle. You should, however, carefully consider the laws of the area you reside in to prevent charges of pollution. You may find some differences between the Eye Hortilux HX66620 Super HPS Lamp and other HPS grow light. However, you should go for the Eye Hortilux HPS Lamp if you want a top-quality product.
- The grow light is especially helpful during the flowering phase of your cannabis plants
- The grow light registers a high lumen and PAR value
- The lamp is made of top quality products and delivers top quality results
- The lamp is environmentally friendly and free from lead
- The grow lamp comes with a one year warranty
- The bulb has a pretty high cost, mainly due to the replacement that you have to do after every 9 to 12 months.
What Should You Consider When Choosing An HID Bulb
When purchasing an HID grow light, there are several factors you should consider that affect your growing setup. By considering these matters, you can be sure of experiencing bigger and better yield during the harvesting period.
The type of ballast your grow light uses
Every HID grow light requires a ballast to operate. It is, therefore, essential to get the right ballast. But how do you tell if a ballast is good enough? You should consider factors such as bulb protection, its dimming abilities, and flexibility in power usage.
It is best to consider a digital ballast since it can run with different types of bulbs without consuming much electricity while still maintaining high light output.
Single-Ended or Double-Ended bulbs?
You can find HID grow lights as either double-ended or single-ended, with single-ended bulbs taking the form of incandescent light and using an arc tube to produce light. Double-ended bulbs, on the other hand, are similar to fluorescent tubes and are the most popular to cannabis growers. You should strive to get a double-ended bulb since they emit more light than single-ended bulbs. Instead of a vacuum, the bulbs have nitrogen that they use to produce more light.
What is the size of the coverage Area
The size of your growing area will determine the size of the HID grow lamp and the wattage to use. You can find various wattage levels of grow lights from 150W to 1000W. Each lap wattage has a distance of its reach, with the lowest having the lowest spread while the highest has the highest reach. The wattage of a grow light also determines the distance that you should hang your grow light above the plants. The higher the wattage, the higher the amount of heat the lamp provides. Therefore, you should place it a bit further from the plants to prevent any instances of burning.
- Best Led Grow Lights
- Best CFL Grow Lights
- 1000 Watt Led Grow Lights
- UFO LED Grow Lights
- 600 Watt HPS Grow Lights
- Tomato Grow Lights
- Grow Lights For Houseplants
- Led Grow Light Bulbs
- 400W LED Grow Light
- 150W LED Grow Lights
- COB LED Grow Light
- Indoor Greenhouse Grow Lights
- Best T5 Grow Lights
- 300W LED grow Lights
- Best Led Grow Lights For Succulents
- 100W Led Grow Lights
- Best HPS Grow Lights
- 4ft Led Grow Light
- Plasma Grow Lights
- Best CMH Grow Lights
- 200 Watt LED Grow Light
- 250W LED Grow Light
- Cheap LED Grow Lights
- Bonsai Grow Light
- 500 Watt LED Grow Light
- T8 Led Grow Lights
- Solar Powered Grow Lights
LED vs. HID Grow Lights?
HPS and MH bulbs have been around the market for more time than LED lamps due to their reliability in an indoor setting. The bulbs are bright, powerful, and inexpensive. However, LEDs have gone through various innovations over time and today provide similar results to HID bulbs while solving some of the problems facing the HID bulbs. With an LED lamp, you can get a full spectrum light that gets rid of the need to switch the bulbs you are using through the different stages of your cannabis plant growth. It produces an equal amount of heat to an HID while consuming less energy and running at relatively cooler temperatures. LED lights are therefore significantly superior that HID grow lights in its technicalities. However, you can choose to use either depending on the results you want to achieve.
The most challenging part of setting up an indoor grow room is selecting the light to use. The competition is not only in the different brands creating lights but the different types of lamps to use. However, one of the best ways to escape this confusion is by choosing a grow light by considering the phases of your plant growth. HID light bulbs can provide you with the best results once your cannabis plants start flowering. You can trust them to increase the amount of yield leading to better harvests.
- HIGH QUALITY LED GROW LIGHT: KingLED grow light has adopted the newest LM301B LEDs and 10 times Optical Condenser to provide high PAR output, high energy efficiency with 2.8 umol/J while improving light penetration. Perfect for 3’x3’ vegetative coverage and 2.5’x2.5’ flowering coverage
- FULL SPECTRUM LED GROW LIGHT: The proportion of the spectrum has been adjusted in order to provide more matching spectrum for MJ, provides full spectrum lighting of natural light for plants, veg and bloom modes are designed to provide proper light for plants in different growth stages from seedling to flowering to greatly increase your harvest.
- COST-EFFECTIVE LED GROW LIGHT: Different from the traditional HPS, Our KP1000 LED light adopts a high-tech SMD LEDs and reflector technology , compares to traditional 400W HPS/MH while consuming only 145W! It provides brighter light and save more electricity which also can save a lot of money for you
- DURABLE LED GROW LIGHT:Multiple high-speed mute fans and upgraded aluminum radiators enable the light bulb to work at 50°F to 60°F that is lower than other lamps. In a lower temperatures, your plant won’t be burned which could increase your lighting time and promote plant growth, Super long use time, so that you do not have to change the light frequently
- PROFESSIONAL SERVICE: 3 years Professional Service and free return for 90 days. KingLED Laboratory has more than seven years of sales with after-sale service team professional in design, sales and production for the best products and service for the majority of customers. If you have any questions, please contact us freely, and we will reply within 24 hours to provide you a satisfactory result
- HIGH-EFFICIENCY LED GROW LIGHT: FC-E6500 grow bar light adopts 3546pcs BridgeLux Diodes, market-leading 2.8 µmol/J PPE, Max 2.5g yield/wat with 30% higher Average PPFD, more cost-effective compared with other same type lights.Only consumes 730W, perfectly cover 5x5ft (personal), 4x4ft (commercial) grow space.
- EASY DIMMING DAISY CHAIN, prefect as cost-efficient commercial LED grow lights, FC-E6500 dimmable grow lamp supports daisy chain max up to 20 lights,master light easily controlled,IP65 waterproof, making it a high performance light for enormous yields. User-friendly dimmer suits full-cycle home horticulture too.
- INNOVATIVE PRECISE UNIFORM LIGHTING: Built-in removable bars interval & dimmability enable the exact dynamic PPFD control over each of plant growing stages, FC-E6500 detachable bars deliver highly uniform adjustable PPFD levels throughout plant canopy, best for more uniform Density Buds.
- SUPERIOR HEAT DISSIPATION: Detachable power supply can be mounted remotely on the side of a grow tent/rack or on adjacent wall to remove heat from grow space; real Aluminum heatsink & 6 slim profile passive cooled bars (THINNER & LARGER surface) creat less heat, drop 50% in electricity bill than HID lights!
- FULL SPECTRUM LED GROW LIGHT: With high-intensity spectrum (2800k-5000knm, 660nm Osram enhanced Deep Red), FC-E6500 provides broad-spectrum light, producing high quality crops with remarkable savings on energy. Trusted 5 full years warranty, 100% Satisfactory Solution guaranteed if any problem!
- 2022 VERSION LOWER RUNNING COSTS & HIGHER-QUALITY YIELDS: SF LED grow lights utilize the latest in high yielding LEDs technology today-Samsung LM301B diodes, high energy efficiency with 2.5 umol/J, delivers powerful light output and uniform canopy penetration to resulting maximum higher yields. Only consumes 100w, running 50% less power than the HPS or other SMD LEDs or Blurple lamps. Veg footprint is 3 x 3 ft, Flowering footprint is 2 x 2 ft.
- NEW DIODE LAYOUT & DIMMING DESIGN: Newest upgraded SF1000 growing lights, the diodes arrangement gathered at the edge makes the PPFD more uniform, absorb light better, produce higher yields. The dimming knob be adjusted the light intensity at liberty. Multi-light Connection with unified dimming especially beneficial for large area of indoor growing and commercial planting.
- IDEAL FOR ALL GROWTH STAGES: Excellent full spectrum- white, blue, red and IR (3000K, 5000K, 660nm and IR 760nm, IR is dimmer than other red diodes.You can wear glasses to see it ). 3000K providing more reddish light and the 5000K providing more blueish. The 660nm red and IR light is especially useful during bloom, where it speeds up flowering time and boost yields. Uniformly across the surface and deep into the roots and bottom of canopy for consistent, highest quality flowers.
- WELL MADE & SOLID CONSTRUCTION: No Fan Noise Free. High Efficient, reliable and detachable SPIDER FARMER Brand Driver have great dissipate heat. Aluminum heat sink is thick and sturdy, protective covers for cables; User-Friendly Packaging. Quality components mean the light lasts longer, SF Light takes good cares of you with more considerate design, you can easily save money without purchasing lights frequently.
- VALUE FOR THE MONEY: SF LED Plant Lights are often copied but will never have our quality or commitment, we provides 5 years of after-service of local maintenance center(US/CA/UK/DE). Make sure you purchase authentic SF grow lights, really can give you need from a high-quality grow lights – at a price that is affordable. For any questions, feel free to e-mail us and we will help you resolve it. Quality backed by our ironclad!!!
- Adjustable Light Panel - Benefited from the new structural design, Barrina BU-2000 LED grow light can adjust light panels' angle to become spotlight or floodlight. When the Angle between the two panels is 60 degrees, the efficiency of the central area will be increased by more than 25%. Moreover, not only from the top, your indoor plants can get tlight from different directions. And adjusting the angle can effectively reduce glare which makes the greenhouse environment more comfortable
- Low Energy Consumption Plant Grow Light - Consuming only 200W true output with 720LEDs! Including blue light 5000k, warm white light 3000k, red light 660nm and IR 730nm. Especially the 660nm red and IR light are useful during bloom which will increase plant growth speed, make flowers bigger and more vivid. Barrina full spectrum LED grow light with 2.5 umol/J PPE, saves up to 50% energy than the HPS or other SMD LEDs or Blurple lamps. Ideal for 3.5x3.5ft bloom stage, 4x4ft veg stage.
- Lower Running Costs & Higher-quality Yields - Barrina LED grow lamp utilizes the latest in high yielding LEDs technology. The PPFD value in the central area can reach 1600, delivering powerful light output and uniform canopy penetration to result maximum higher yields.
- UL Listed Driver & Customized Dimming Design - No Fan Noise Free. High Efficient UL-certified power supply ensures the growing lights more reliable, safer and has a longer lifespan. Also Barrina LED grow lights have a dimming knob and light switch. A single light can be adjusted the light intensity at liberty. Multi-light Connection with unified dimmingis especially beneficial for large area of indoor growing and commercial planting.
- What You Get - 3 years of after-service of local maintenance center. 1 x Barrina LED Grow Light 200W, 1 x Dimming Cable, 2 x Steel Hanging Kit, 2 x Steel Hook, 2 x Screw, 1 x User Manual. For any questions, feel free to e-mail us and we will help you resolve it in 12 hours.
- TOP PERFORMANCE & HIGH EFFICACY: Bloom Plus upgraded XP3000 LED growing light use the latest high-efficiency (2.7 umol/J) LED plant light technology - Samsung LM301B Diodes for extremely high output, increase the yield of crops and save operation cost, generates more usable lighting per watt, and provides better light canopy penetration.
- LESS ENERGY CONSUMPTION: Comparable to traditional 600W HPS/MH, XP3000 Plant Grow Lamp consumes only 300Watt with 652 pcs LEDs! Get 50% higher yield harvest and save costs. Perfect for core coverage 4x4 ft. Adjust the height and brightness properly to meet your plants desired level for optimal growth.
- ADVANCED FULL SPECTURM & DIMMABLE KNOB: Delivering optimal light-spectrum coverage - 650-665nm Red Lights ,2800-3200K warm lights, 4800-5000K white lights ,730-740nm IR lights, best for all stages growing from seed to flower, increase yield & crop quality. XP3000 LED indoor growing lamp has a dimming knob that makes it adjustable to different growing periods for your plants; It can adapt to the growth needs of different plants in different periods.
- SILENT OPERATION & SOLID CONSTRUCTION: Fanless LED grow design will make your growing life quiet. Large areas of solid aluminum heat sinks help you to achieve the ideal cooling system. Adopts high performance power supply driver to achieve high PAR output, longer lifespan to speed up plant's grow processes and boost yields while saving you on your energy bill.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED---The Bloom Plus LED Grow Lights offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and a trusted 3 years warranty. Professional U.S. local after-sales service provides you with the most convenient shopping experience. Make sure you purchase authentic Bloom Plus grow lights. If any questions, please feel free to contact us by email.